Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Derailment on B&A in the Springfield Area?

Date: 01/20/02 15:57
Derailment on B&A in the Springfield Area?
Author: Pj

I just heard the "NB" dispatcher talking to a maintainer about 17+ cars on the ground and an interlocking that took a good beating, but in 10min worth of conversations, no location. Anyone know where this may be?

Date: 01/20/02 18:22
RE: Derailment on B&A in the Springfield Area?
Author: railrob

It appears to be in CP-97 interlocking. Tv-22 is reporting 14 cars on the ground and one building severely damaged. Their video shows double stack cars. However NB is just giving the engines of eastbound grain train , G-638, that was by CP-109 about 1645 hrs, the ok to back down onto his train from CP-96 to CP-97. Could the grain train be on the ground?
Rob

Date: 01/20/02 18:41

I just heard from the fire dept that its 17 grain cars...

Date: 01/20/02 18:59
Author: tamrwinterconv

I think the only building close enough to be hit excluding the station is the DMV. Does anyone know what building was hit?

Date: 01/20/02 19:00
RE: Derailment on B&A in Springfield
Author: CSXT-DandC-kid

First, I'll say that I haven't (and won't) hear anything about the derailment from CSX; I'm at school now and not privy to the incident reports.

Reposting from the GCDRA mailing list: G638, grain loads for Guilford, dropped 17 cars on the ground in/around CP-97. Tracks 1 and 2 are OOS between CP-96 and CP-98. Q426 and the Lake Shore are being held.

Source:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gcdranet/

-Dave
http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/davehonan/

Date: 01/20/02 19:05
RE: Derailment on B&A in Springfield

CP97 is right next to the Amtrak Station. There is a building right there that has lots of old chairs sitting outside. That's the only building that I have seen close to the tracks. I have sat there next to the shack many times. I'll take a ride up there tomorrow morning after work, as I live 5 miles from there. At that spot is where the tracks go into the station, just prior to the RR overpass at Lyman and Spring Street.

Date: 01/20/02 19:40
RE: Springfield derailment -- news from the scene

Posted from NERAIL with permission of the author:

"Just got back from mp 97 heres what i saw G638  Derailed at least 10 cars probably more on the ground, at least 2-3 on their sides, on inside of a building, building hit structural damage building taped off.  #1+2 track out of service between mp96 and 98  all trains stoped at west side.  No cab signals in operation, all operations by form D other amtrak trains stopped in Albany for buses.

Patrick Kubala"

Date: 01/20/02 19:47

Some more info:

the building hit is the old springfield beef building (possibly a produce or paper warehouse?) last building on the left on lyman street right between the building with the chairs and the hamden zimmerman electrical supply building

Patrick Kubala

Date: 01/20/02 20:11
Author: ST214

The building was just condemned.

Date: 01/20/02 20:14
Author: BaltoJoey

Date: 01/20/02 20:41
Author: SLR62

Hopefully we will see some detours onto Guilford. On the map, is that North/South line the Conn River?? Thanks

Date: 01/20/02 21:41
Author: ST214

Rob, i have heard detours over GRS are in the cards for both AMTK and CSX.

Date: 01/20/02 23:11

Listening to the scanner at work (the nice thing about working mids :P), sounds like they are making some really good work out there. Rj Corman was out there in no time, and everything from Selkirk made it there within a couple of hours. The building in question is right next to the tracks, and by the looks of it, use to get rail service in better days. The building there are all old brick buildings from the early 20th centry (does it seem that long ago?) and older. This area is in the older downtown part of the city.

Date: 01/21/02 16:21

Lots of work done today, they are hoping to have the line open by midnight tonight, but we will see what happens. An Amtrak cop stated that a jorunal failed, and the wheel fell off. Nothing to spectaular. I'll try to have some pics soon.

As a side note that I found kinda funny, the local tv stations had graphics of an RR crossing sign with..... a NS wide cab by it.

I guess when CSX is the only RR in town, you STILL can screw things up :)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0617 seconds