Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Weather Delays Force Amtrak Blowing Snow

Date: 01/06/14 13:33
Weather Delays Force Amtrak Blowing Snow
Author: OhioRails

Greetings,

Earlier today, Monday, January 6, 2014, the eastbound Amtrak Capitol Limited (train 30) whooshed through Columbiana, Ohio eight hours behind schedule at 11:32am due to weather conditions in the Midwest region of the United States. My original plan was to shoot the train through a field that I like to shoot from, however, while listening to the scanner I had a feeling I was going to get skunked by westbound Roadrailer 261. Due to some track work in the plant at CP Lum, Amtrak 30 was running reverse on track two and 261 was running reverse on track one. Interesting enough, the power for 261 was NS #6302 (SD40E) and NS #6317 (SD40E), two units which can usually be found in the Altoona area helper pool. I left my spot in the field and moved my car closer to the Metz Road crossing, and ran across the tracks just before the gates started to go down. Sure enough, if I would have stayed where I started, I would have missed Amtrak. I'm not sure why I didn't park my car on the side of the tracks that I was going to shoot the train from I'm not sure, but I sure wish I did, as 261 slowed down to a crawl to cross over tracks. Needless to say, I had an extremely cold wait for the train to pass!

Amtrak 30, led by AMTK #809 (P40DC) and AMTK #9 (P42DC) certainly didn't waste any more time on its way to Washington as it flew past me, creating a frigid snow globe around the train.

- Scott "OhioRails"

Date: 01/06/14 13:44

I'm so indecisive on which pictures I like the best, so here are a few more.

- Scott "OhioRails"

Date: 01/06/14 14:03
Re: Weather Delays Force Amtrak Blowing Snow
Author: stevelv

Very nice. The pair of 40E's on the Roadrailer was real treat.

Date: 01/06/14 14:47
Author: ns1000

GREAT pics!!!

Date: 01/06/14 17:52
Author: WillRan

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,3283904

Only to Pittsburgh. See same 30 turning back at PIT on link.

Date: 01/06/14 18:01
Author: jmbreitigan

Scott, nice sequence of the Amtrak meet with the roadrailer train

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/14 18:02 by jmbreitigan.

Date: 01/06/14 20:01

Last two:

- Scott "OhioRails"

Date: 01/07/14 05:05
Author: agrafton

Nice catches, those Amtrak photos almost look like "flip animation"

[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0927 seconds