Home Open Account Help 383 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Carlisle, Ohio Info

Date: 04/17/14 04:53
Carlisle, Ohio Info
Author: Gumcoach

I'm thinking of heading to where the CSX and NS run parallel in Carlisle, Ohio today. Any idea of how many trains to expect and good watching spots?

Posted from Android

Date: 04/17/14 06:41
Re: Carlisle, Ohio Info
Author: P

Should be enough to keep you entertained. I beleive you are referring to the CSX Toledo Sub and the NS Dayton District?

Not intimately familiar with train watching spots in the area, but in personal experience, not a lot of 'freindly' or scenic spots to hang out and see both lines. Plenty of trains, though.

Date: 04/17/14 07:35
Author: toledopatch

P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Should be enough to keep you entertained. I
> beleive you are referring to the CSX Toledo Sub
> and the NS Dayton District?
>
> Not intimately familiar with train watching spots
> in the area, but in personal experience, not a lot
> of 'friendly' or scenic spots to hang out and see
> both lines. Plenty of trains, though.

There's a road that crosses both rail lines right next to each other between Carlisle and Miamisburg, next to the Dayton Power & Light plant. It's convenient for seeing all the traffic, but except for southbound NS traffic, for which the photo angle is decent, I'm not especially impressed with it as a photo location. Just north of there, the NS crosses the Great Miami River on a multiple-span deck-girder bridge while CSX stays on the west bank of the river. Morning northbounds can be photographed from the riverbank via an access trail near some ball fields, and later in the morning to midday, a broadside view is available from the road bridge over the river near the power plant. There are some OK photo spots on CSX along the river at Miamisburg and in Carlisle.

Date: 04/17/14 08:18
Author: pramer

The road near the power plant is not too good a location account parking. Go one click farther south to Union Rd. and you will have decent parking and plenty of action!

Paul Ramer
Cincinnati, OH

Date: 04/17/14 08:30
Author: gborgwald

I concur with Paul Ramer: Union Road in Carlisle. There's a spot where you can park, safely, between the tracks. In all the years I've parked there I've never been hassled. A couple of parks are a little farther south on the CSX; one is just a bench on the west side of the tracks.

Traffic can be hit and miss. A few months ago I spent a few hours on a Saturday morning at Union Road and saw 10-12 trains, evenly split between the railroads; other times it's much quieter, especially on the NS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/14 08:40 by gborgwald.

Date: 04/17/14 14:47
Author: Gumcoach

Thanks for the info everyone! I spent the morning in Calisle and got a few CSX but only one NS. I then headed Northwest around noon to Muncie, IN and caught the Go Rail and Honoring Our Veterans units. Overall not a bad day of railfanning.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0541 seconds