Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Accelerating SD-50 trash under wires

Date: 04/17/14 07:48
Accelerating SD-50 trash under wires
Author: jonjonjonjon

Last Sunday was a beautifully warm day and a great excuse to get out after the long winter. I headed to the Woodbourne station on SEPTA's West Trenton line, where the CSX freight main joins SEPTA under wire.
Here we have a trash train with an SD-50 leader accelerating out of the siding and through the crossovers.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/17/14 07:50
Re: Accelerating SD-50 trash under wires

Some stills….

Date: 04/17/14 07:51

Hitting the crossovers….

Date: 04/17/14 08:03
Author: EL-SD45-3632

Nice video. I'll take the "standard cabs" over the "wide-bodies" of today's new standard which have no style or good looks.

Date: 04/17/14 08:41
Author: Out_Of_Service

nice vid Jon ... i didn't realize those switches were high speed #20s ... the train has a Limited Clear indication with the flashing green and by the time it reaches the crossover has to be doing every bit of 45mph, the max for a #20 turnout ...

the term high speed in the context that is used was in a general sense ... it wasn't meant to infer that 45mph is high speed per se but in freight world anything over 45mph is considered a high speed turnout

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/14 10:25 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 04/17/14 14:59
Author: ns1000

GREAT video!!!

Date: 04/17/14 15:19
Author: dwi189

If that train was Southbound...should have been a Q703...Dave W.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/17/14 20:18
Author: Out_Of_Service

dwi189 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If that train was Southbound...should have been a
> Q703...Dave W.
>
> Posted from Android

nb heading towards north jersey from the Philly regional area

Date: 04/18/14 07:53
Author: AndyBrown

Oooh, that is one great runby! Love those EMDs!

Andy

Date: 04/19/14 17:16
Author: LocoCam

Correct on the Limited Clear, but Freight is limited to 40mph there.

Date: 04/20/14 11:12
Author: Red

EL-SD45-3632 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice video. I'll take the "standard cabs" over the
> "wide-bodies" of today's new standard which have
> no style or good looks.

I agree, Darn NICE VIDEO & STILLS. However...are you a working rail??? To state that you'd "take these old units" over "today's new standard which have no style or good looks?!?" Perhaps by lineside or through your lineside video lenees or video cam--but--I CANNOT imagine you saying this had you imagine you saying this had you experienced you saying this had you experienced these in the Deep South with 103 temps with 100% humidity? I'm glad that I got to experience them--in WINTER--for "Nostalgia's Sake"--and that ONLY. But glad that the rest of these are either being RETIRED or either being REBUILT with new cabs, etc. I have no problem with the standard cab design so long as they have HVAC, such as the NS units that are being recabbed, or the UP SD40Ns, so on and so-forth. But this is truly "TRASH POWER" that belongs on a "TRASH TRAIN" out of the 1980s!!! And I find that the modern power is very fine-looking, while being TWICE the locomotive (EMD or GE), that these were.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0466 seconds