Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Trestle Thursday Cont. With The LV 8104 Leading

Date: 04/17/14 08:20
Trestle Thursday Cont. With The LV 8104 Leading
Author: Out_Of_Service

for those not familiar with the Delair Bridge setup ... the signals on the bridge are for CP-Jersey that protect the bridge by 2 railroads ... NJT on the north track and Conrail on the south track that the train is on ... the 2 tracks on the bridge are each controlled by their respective railroad ... with NJT disp controlling their track and CR South Jersey Disp controlling their track ... however the bridge itself is controlled by the Conrail Delair Bridge operator ... he has ultimate control for the bridge opening and the signals protecting the bridge ... if the bridge needs to be opened for river traffic, worked on, or even when the bridge operator walks to/from the middle of the bridge during change of shifts, the bridge gets ultimate local protection by the bridge operator with the signals going to stop for both railroads and not until the bridge is locked and the bridge operator releases control back to the respective railroads can the signals be cleared to run trains ... also note the surveillance cameras on the lattice catenary crossbeam to the above in front of the train

Photo #1: train is 65W out of Camden traversing the Delair Bridge onto the viaduct in the Port Richmond section of Philadelphia taken 4/11/14 ... with the photo compression and with the cat pole spacing it's really difficult to capture the the headend between poles ... the bridge is over a mile long and the rear of the train can still be seen on the Jersey-Hatch connection track in the background on the other side of the bridge

Photo #2 still to much compression with the pole spacing

Photo #3 as the train gets closer to me the pole spacing opens up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/14 11:11 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 04/17/14 08:34
Re: Trestle Thursday Cont. With The LV 8104 Leading

here's the NJ side of the bridge ... the signalling here gets just a little complicated ... this shot was taken from the platform of the NJT Pennsauken Transfer Station ... the nearest signals protect the interlocking of CP-WYE ... the the next set of siganls are where it's gets complicated ... the signal on 2 track (the side i'm on) pass the crossover is the home signal for CP-JERSEY controlled by the NJT disp in the Meadowlands ... the high signal past the crossover is still part of CP-Jersey still controlled by the NJT Disp however the pot signal protecting the switch for the Jersey-Hatch Connecting Track belongs to and is controlled by the Conrail South Jersey Disp

Photo #4: shows a K551 CSX empty slab gondola train heading into Camden down the J-H connecting

Photo #5: shows the headend of K551 ... taken through the Keystone window emblem

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/14 11:10 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 04/17/14 14:19
Author: jmbreitigan

Thank you OOS, that was very interesting. I think I understand it : )
John

Date: 04/17/14 15:28
Author: agrafton

Interesting information and photos, I like photo 2 looks like the LV is about to jump!

Date: 04/18/14 08:21
Author: m1bprr

Awesome shots!
Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 04/18/14 08:39

thanks all ... i was once ordered to walk across that bridge back in the 80s ... at the time i was the #1 Pilot on the Amtrak AC Line Rehabilitation construction project ... my orders that day were to pilot MW equipment from the jersey side to the Philly side and another set of MW equipment was to come back to the jersey side ... now normal operation would've had me move the set on the jersey side to B street swap the position of both sets and bring the other set to back to jersey ... nope the clowns up in the managers office wanted me to WALK from CP-Jersey across the bridge to B St(3 miles) to pilot that Philly set first and then move the jersey equipment to Philly and WALK back across the bridge back to jersey ... i asked for transportation to get over to Philly ... when they didn't provide transportation so i refused the order stating the walkway was unsafe ... the supv was ordered to pull me ahem Out-Of-Service ... he did not do so ... the reason they wanted me to walk ... the person driving the vehicle on the philly side that would've been my transportation didn't have a bridge ticket from the company and he wouldn't pay the $2.50 at the time to cross the bridge ... the real reason i didn't walk across the bridge was i was scared out of my mind of heights ... finally the decision was made to do it the practical way and have me move the equipment from jersey where i was already positioned and bring back the philly equipment ... what should've taken about an hour wound up taking 5 hours and a whole lotta aggravation

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0768 seconds