Home Open Account Help 138 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Eddystone, Pa Oil Dump Site

Date: 04/19/14 17:41
Eddystone, Pa Oil Dump Site
Author: EdP

A visit today showed the site for all purposes is complete, with the exception of a pipe that sends oil to the barge loading site from one of the tanks. There is a 10' high framework and there is a pipe that goes along so far and terminates in a flange. Other than that, it is done. All rail is in place with no installation equipment on sight. There are fire extinguishers on the unloading platforms, lights were lit, safety signs in place and no construction equipment. There are 22 unloading stations on each track. The fold down platform to reach the tank car hatch is mounted so that it can slide in order to adjust to the exact position. All hose, etc. appear to be in place.

There is a signal on the "main" (red or green) to indicate the switch position to enter the dump site. It is only about 4' high. It is lit. I suspect the fire train is due around May first.

Note. The rotary dumper is still in place. It was used when coal was delivered to this Eddystone Power Plant that has been converted to a barge trans-load sight for western crude. For those unfamiliar with Philadelphia, this site is about 2 miles south of the Philadelphia Airport on the Delaware River and near the former home of the Baldwin Locomotive Works.

Date: 04/19/14 18:10
Re: Eddystone, Pa Oil Dump Site
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for this report. Are there five unloading tracks, and are they stub ended?

Date: 04/19/14 22:31
Author: Out_Of_Service

EdP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A visit today showed the site for all purposes is
> complete, with the exception of a pipe that sends
> oil to the barge loading site from one of the
> tanks. There is a 10' high framework and there is
> a pipe that goes along so far and terminates in a
> flange. Other than that, it is done. All rail is
> in place with no installation equipment on sight.
> There are fire extinguishers on the unloading
> platforms, lights were lit, safety signs in place
> and no construction equipment. There are 22
> unloading stations on each track. The fold down
> platform to reach the tank car hatch is mounted so
> that it can slide in order to adjust to the exact
> position. All hose, etc. appear to be in place.

Ed are you connected to the facility or construction in any way to get a tour inside the gates

> There is a signal on the "main" (red or green) to
> indicate the switch position to enter the dump
> site. It is only about 4' high. It is lit. I
> suspect the fire train is due around May first.

i went by there tonight and there's switch connection access to the facility from both directions but only the sb access switch into the plant has the remote switch and indicator or should i say it's the only one installed and activated as of today ...

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> Thanks for this report. Are there five unloading
> tracks, and are they stub ended?

2 loop tracks ... the 5 track double ended holding yard has been dismantled and it where the unloading racks were built

Date: 04/20/14 05:05
Author: Lackawanna484

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
>(snip)
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thanks for this report. Are there five
> unloading
> > tracks, and are they stub ended?
>
> 2 loop tracks ... the 5 track double ended holding
> yard has been dismantled and it where the
> unloading racks were built

Thanks for that info. Sounds like the situation at Reybold. Unload 22 etc cars, pull ahead, unload 22 more, etc.

It will be interesting to how the cycle time works

Date: 04/20/14 06:37
Author: EdP

As I see it, there will be no need for the northward facing switch. When the train has completed the unloading, the power will move to the rear of the train (the tracks form a complete circle like Reybold) and leave northward through the same switch as it entered. I am not affiliated with this project. I am just interested in this latest use of rail delivery. All of the property can be observed from adjacent property.

The infrastructure at Eddystone has the potential to be much more efficient than Reybold. The fixed unloading platform between the two tracks requires no mobile lift movement to access the top hatch on each car. Operators just lower the hinged platform and walk out to the hatch. Safety is provided with extinguishers on the platform and below as well as plenty of lighting mounted to be very effective.

Date: 04/20/14 07:17
Author: Out_Of_Service

EdP Wrote:
> As I see it, there will be no need for the
> northward facing switch. When the train has
> completed the unloading, the power will move to
> the rear of the train (the tracks form a complete
> circle like Reybold) and leave northward through
> the same switch as it entered. I am not affiliated
> with this project. I am just interested in this
> latest use of rail delivery. All of the property
> can be observed from adjacent property.
>
> The infrastructure at Eddystone has the potential
> to be much more efficient than Reybold. The fixed
> unloading platform between the two tracks requires
> no mobile lift movement to access the top hatch on
> each car. Operators just lower the hinged platform
> and walk out to the hatch. Safety is provided with
> extinguishers on the platform and below as well as
> plenty of lighting mounted to be very effective.

routing option Ed for when the proposed 3 trains a day will be visiting the facility ... i'm going to head over today and take some photos in the daylight ... if i could drive directly across the Delaware i'd there in less than 10 mimutes but like everyone else i have to use the circuitous routing via the WWB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0791 seconds