Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Eddystone Rail Company Loop Track / Unloading Rack Phot

Date: 04/20/14 10:04
Eddystone Rail Company Loop Track / Unloading Rack Phot
Author: Out_Of_Service

the rail entity serving the new oil transfer facility is known as the "Eddystone Rail Company" ... all the old trackage around the former coal burning generating power plant has been dismantled and removed with new trackage installed and a new track layout at the location of the connection to the Chester Industrial and where the 5 track holding yard was situated ... the former track layout had a wye track a diamond crossing for both legs to access the 5 track holding yard ... the new track layout has same bidirectional connection access but instead of a wye it's actually 2 crossovers that connect to the 2 loop tracks

Photo #1: no explanation needed

Photo #2: taken looking north shows the new nb connection remote switch and indicator with the remote signals turned away ... the former north leg of the wye for sb access to the holding yard would've been about 1/2 between me and the new nb access connection ... the south leg of the wye is behind me and still in place albeit out-of-service ...

Photo #3 taken looking south with the sb access connection remote switch and indicator in service and lit ... the PRR and Reading paralleled each other from Essington to Stoney Creek yard in Marcus Hook ... the trackage to Marcus Hook is mainly ex PRR with some Reading trackage filling in here and there...

more ...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/14 11:03 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 04/20/14 10:13
Re: Eddystone Rail Company

Photo #4: shows the trackage where both connection crossovers connect to the 2 loop tracks

Photo #5: here's a SW view showing the south leg of the former wye ... it deadends right to the left of the photo

Photo #6: one of 2 gates for rail access ... this one is the nb access connection ... trains enetering/leaving through this gate either come from/go to Amtrak's NEC at Hook Interlocking via Stoney Creek yard in Marcus Hook ...

more ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/14 11:04 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 04/20/14 10:18

Unloading rack shots ... the 2 unloading tracks in the rack area are both set in a concrete trough with 6 inch curbing on either of the ties

Photo #7: looking NW the racks curves to the north

Photo #8: looking East ... racks curve around to the north to where the coal dumper is

Photo #9: looking west ...

more ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/14 10:20 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 04/20/14 10:36

Photo #10: looking south shows the Chester Industrial single and the siding to the right ... the track off to the left is a stub end and where the power off the coal trains to the power plant use to rest until the train was unloaded bu the plants own switch crew

Photo #11: looking north the the CI on the right and siding on the left ... the bascule draw bridges over Darby Creek are right around the curve ... the CSAO Conrail trackage uses the former PRR while the former Reading draw is retired in the up position

Photo #12: looking south in Essington shows Wanamaker Yard ... the Darby draw bridges are at the other end of the yard ... this yard is a staging area for the former PRR 60th St Branch hat winds around to the Philly Airport to a couple of industries on the Schuylkill River ... the empty track is actually the running track for the Chester Industrial with the siding on the straight move off the switch

more ...

Date: 04/20/14 10:54

Photo #13: looking north ... the track to the right is the former PRR 60th St Branch that deadends at the Schuylkill River under the I95 Girard Point Bridge ... the track to the left is the former Reading that connects to the Septa Airport High Speed Line .

Photo #14: is the south end of the Lester siding ... the signal is the approach for the Septa AHSL CP-90th St interlocking waaayyy in the background underneath I95 ...

as a historical sidenote ... the 60th St Branch veered off the former PRR now Amtrak NEC at former Brill Interlocking ... part of the SEPTA AHSL uses the 60th St Branch from Phil to CP90th St ... the PRR 60th St Branch use to cross the Reading Chester Branch at grade at the CP-60th St location ... when Conrail trains get a form D ... the limits are from Eastwick (connection to CSX at RG and Lester the signal in photo #14 ... even with form D Authority trains still need to contact the Septa "A" dispatcher to request the signal for access at CP-60th St and CP-90th St for the run between those 2 interlockings

the sidings between CP-90th St and Lester and the other one between Wanamaker and the Eddystone are long enough to handle full 112 crude oil trains ... but between April and November the trains have to cut for the Darby Draw ... in the winter months the trains can stay in tact as a unit train ... the south routing via Stoney Creek is all single track with no holding sidings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/14 11:01 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 04/20/14 15:25
Author: Gonut1

OOS,
Great follow up to the earlier reports without photos. You are the man!
Gonut

Date: 04/20/14 15:57
Author: tp117

Thanks oos for your excellent photo update. I was gonna go up there and check things out but now no immediate need to. I have been trying to figure out proper mileages for all of these rail crude oil moves in the local Philly / Delmarva area since all this started. I've discovered old CR TT's do not agree with CR track charts, and it is the TT's that are wrong. CSX TT's are based on the mileages in the old CR TT's, so they are wrong too. This mostly concerns the distances from Arsenal to Phil, the 58th St connection, and Eastwick to 60th St on SEPTA. That last distance will not hold a crude unit train, instead of 1.2 miles it is more like 0.8. Google Earth conforms this. Fruthermore, the "Escape track" which would be used by crude trains/mtys if routed that way is not miled, and neither is the Linwood connection track in Marcus Hook. However, i think I have worked all of this out using about 10 resources.

Also, I went down to Del City PBF last Sunday. A second track is being added to the Reybold track between Route 7 and the guts of the rfinery past Schoolhouse Road. Then to the south of that point headed towards Wrangle Hill Road, is obvious material (stacked ties, etc, and oil racks a-building) to construct at least a four track stub end yard to unloaded, I estimate, a 100 car unit train if cut into sections.

Date: 04/20/14 16:05
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for a great thread.

Picture #9 is very impressive, that's quite a platform for unloading, venting etc.

The additional work at Delaware City sounds interesting,too.

Date: 04/20/14 18:28

thanks guys ... track layout, future train operations like this always interests me ... i see i'm not the only one

Date: 04/20/14 19:54
Author: rcall31060

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks guys ... track layout, future train
> operations like this always interests me ... i see
> i'm not the only one

OOS, you have a lot of company, in that regard. Please keep posting this kind of info. It is appreciated.

Bob Callahan
Monticello, IN

Date: 04/21/14 05:31
Author: EdP

Great shots. One of the two large storage tanks is almost hidden by the unloading structure. Has anyone heard who will be bringing in the trains? NS or CSX or both? Has the barging capacity gown to keep pace with the anticipated deliveries? 2 - 3 trains a day sound good, but they must trans-load that amount daily.

Ed

Date: 04/21/14 07:08

EdP Wrote:
> Great shots. One of the two large storage tanks is
> almost hidden by the unloading structure. Has
> anyone heard who will be bringing in the trains?
> NS or CSX or both? Has the barging capacity gown
> to keep pace with the anticipated deliveries? 2 -
> 3 trains a day sound good, but they must
> trans-load that amount daily.
>
> Ed

still hush hush Ed as far as who will be making the deliveries or if it be a shared delivery ... the 2 big storage tanks were there while it was a coal fired power plant ... i saw additional storage tanks in the back towards the river opposite the access road ... not sure if they'r part of the project or not

Date: 04/21/14 07:19

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
> EdP Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Great shots. One of the two large storage tanks
> is
> > almost hidden by the unloading structure. Has
> > anyone heard who will be bringing in the
> trains?
> > NS or CSX or both? Has the barging capacity
> gown
> > to keep pace with the anticipated deliveries? 2
> -
> > 3 trains a day sound good, but they must
> > trans-load that amount daily.
> >
> > Ed
>
> still hush hush Ed as far as who will be making
> the deliveries or if it be a shared delivery ...
> the 2 big storage tanks were there while it was a
> coal fired power plant ... i saw additional
> storage tanks in the back towards the river
> opposite the access road ... not sure if they'r
> part of the project or not

Depending on the refinery output, the tanks may be kept to hold various outputs from the refining process. There's a good market for various liquids etc in the plastics business.

I wonder if the refinery will have its own terminal rail operator, like Savage Terminal at Delaware City? They operate the switchers etc at the plant.

Date: 04/21/14 08:32

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> Out_Of_Service Wrote:
> -----
> > EdP Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Great shots. One of the two large storage
> tanks
> > is
> > > almost hidden by the unloading structure. Has
> > > anyone heard who will be bringing in the
> > trains?
> > > NS or CSX or both? Has the barging capacity
> > gown
> > > to keep pace with the anticipated deliveries?
> 2
> > -
> > > 3 trains a day sound good, but they must
> > > trans-load that amount daily.
> > >
> > > Ed
> >
> > still hush hush Ed as far as who will be making
> > the deliveries or if it be a shared delivery
> ...
> > the 2 big storage tanks were there while it was
> a
> > coal fired power plant ... i saw additional
> > storage tanks in the back towards the river
> > opposite the access road ... not sure if they'r
> > part of the project or not
>
> Depending on the refinery output, the tanks may be
> kept to hold various outputs from the refining
> process. There's a good market for various liquids
> etc in the plastics business.
>
> I wonder if the refinery will have its own
> terminal rail operator, like Savage Terminal at
> Delaware City? They operate the switchers etc at
> the plant.

it's not a refinery ... the closest refinery is about 7 miles to the south in Trainer that now produces jet fuel for Delta Airlines

my first photo answers your question about who the rail operator will be

Date: 04/21/14 08:45

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
> (snip)
>
> it's not a refinery ... the closest refinery is
> about 7 miles to the south in Trainer that now
> produces jet fuel for Delta Airlines

Ah, they're just barge transloading. For some reason I had them confused with a refinery.

Thanks

Date: 04/21/14 10:01

unlike Sunoco logistics in Westville, PES in Philly and PBF Delaware City hey still has a very limited storage capacity ... how they are going to be handling an anticipated 3 trains a day has me shaking my head ... also the people at Sunoco in Westville state that medicine and will not have any profound affect on
on the number of trains they are presently or planning to unload

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1402 seconds