Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > On the "South Side"...

Date: 04/22/14 22:03
On the "South Side"...
Author: aussiehinz

Chicago far Southeast Side still presents a heavy industrial landscape, especially in the areas close to the Calumet River. In addition to the NS, CN (EJ&E) and CSX routes that bisect the region, smaller roads such as South Chicago & Indiana Harbor (Chicago Short Line), Belt Railway of Chicago, Chicago Rail Link, and Indiana Harbor Belt are also regular participants in the South Side industrial switching scene. It always makes for an interesting place to catch these carriers in action. Here are a few pix I grabbed while down that way this afternoon.

Cheers,

aussiehinz

1. BRC power rests between assignments at 100th Street, near the Commercial Avenue coal facility on the Calumet River.

2. Their day's work nearly completed, two SCIH (CSL) jobs drift down the hill into the compact yard and engine terminal in South Chicago. The second job, using SW 1500 #31, can be seen in the background, following #30 down the SCIH "main line."

3. At the north end of the South Chicago Yard, SCIH #29 & #30 ease across 100th Street in preparation to reverse and make their way into the engine terminal to tie up for the day. Keeping its power clean and reliable, a Chicago Short Line tradition, has continued under South Chicago & Indiana Harbor (Arcelor-Mittal) auspices.

Date: 04/22/14 23:45
Re: On the "South Side"...
Author: Seventyfive

Photos of the Chicago Short Line and the Belt Railway of Chicago are always a welcome surprise so thanks for the post. I think South Chicago and Northwest Indiana are the most interesting areas of the Chicago railroad scene.

Date: 04/23/14 05:19
Author: agrafton

Very nice photos, is it me or are you get out and about more due to nice weather,
just saying.....:o)

Date: 04/23/14 10:22

There's probably a bit of truth to that... :)

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/23/14 11:39
Author: trainman630

agrafton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice photos, is it me or are you get out and
> about more due to nice weather,
> just saying.....:o)

Presley kicked him out of the tower on days.

Date: 04/23/14 12:45
Author: colehour

Seventyfive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Photos of the Chicago Short Line and the Belt
> Railway of Chicago are always a welcome surprise
> so thanks for the post. I think South Chicago and
> Northwest Indiana are the most interesting areas
> of the Chicago railroad scene.

As a resident of Hammond (my fair city), I agree. Lot of interesting stuff in our area. I particularly love the SCIH/CSL, especially when they are running in reverse and using the air whistle on the caboose.

NS is replacing rail at Calumet Ave, near the Amtrak station, and Michels is apparently installing more fiber optic cable along the ROW through Hammond and Whiting.

Aussie, you've done a great job documenting railroad action in our area. I have probably seen you trackside on occasion, although I wouldn't recognize you.

Date: 04/23/14 13:13

Kind thanks, "Colehour." I'm a South Side "junkie." Pretty ugly, too; easy to spot!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0585 seconds