Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Odd sight

Date: 04/24/14 18:54
Odd sight
Author: IronWill

While driving west on I70 near Wheeling W.Va today, I came across a truck hauling a 40' wooden reefer on a low boy trailer. Following on another truck were the trucks for the car. It appeared to be a former Fruit Growers Express car but all lettering was missing. Anyone know anything about this move?

Will

Date: 04/24/14 19:18
Re: Odd sight
Author: csxmonsubfan

That may be one of three wooden reefers made available by the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum. I was a regular member there in the early 1970s and this was used for storage and a wood shop. They recently built a parts storage building and were no longer needed. Where it is going I do not know.

Date: 04/24/14 19:28
Author: garr

Nice photo of reverse intermodal!

Jay

Date: 04/24/14 22:45
Author: wa4umr

Gets your attention, doesn't it? Going home from work 15 or 20 years ago I saw what looked like a Shay on a flatbed going in the opposite direction.

John

Date: 04/25/14 02:48

I found out that this reefer is not one of the three offered by the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum, but is the 1931 era insulated boxcar that was used by them for storage and wood shop. It is headed to the Age of Steam organization in Sugar Creek Ohio.

Date: 04/25/14 04:49
Author: Benched_it

I would love to see something like that, this is so cool!

Jay

Date: 04/25/14 07:08
Author: rhotond

I can confirm that this is the car from the pa trolley museum and it is going to the age of steam group.

"You can post that for the record is is URTX 26571, built 1/31, formerly assigned to Libby's Foods."

Date: 04/25/14 08:06
Author: ns1000

Nice catch!!!

Date: 04/25/14 13:12

This thread on the Railway Preservation News website explains further this boxcar including two photos loading and leaving the Pa Trolley Museum.
http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36547&view=unread#unread

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0388 seconds