Home Open Account Help 401 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > 3303 B&O Passenger Car

Date: 07/16/14 14:39
3303 B&O Passenger Car
Author: k3www

3303 is in Hyndman, Pa. Bedford Co. Penna. IF YOU NEVER HEARD OF IT. a RAILROAD PASSENGER RUNS ON RAILS. Sad to watch the 3303 meet HER DEMISE today in 5 hours.

Date: 07/16/14 15:39
Re: 3303 B&O Passenger Car
Author: ClubCar

This was a sister car to the B&O 3302 that is sitting in the B&O R.R. Museum hoping that the museum will work on it ASAP. It's a shame that the 3303 had to be destroyed as it probably contained various parts that could have been used for other restorations. Here are some photos of the B&O 3302 when owned by a Baltimore passenger car leasing company, Railroad Passenger Cars known as RRP. RRP donated the 3302 "Edward G. Hooper" to the museum when they closed down their operations in 1995.

John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 07/16/14 16:14
Author: csxmonsubfan

If you watch the Sand Patch cam today at 1:22 PM, after the helper engines pass you can hear the backhoe working on the car. For those not knowing the car sat behind the cabooses at Hyndman.

Date: 07/16/14 16:52
Author: stevelv

OK, I am out of the loop and/or missed a previous post. Why was the car scrapped??? Definite bummer.

Date: 07/16/14 18:09
Author: columbusrailnut

Sad to see this B&O car lost. Wonder why it was cut up...

Bruce Bryan
Greensburg, IN

Date: 07/16/14 19:09
Author: Heath_Tower

Back when I was an active railfan I viewed and photographed this
car whenever I happened to be heading east. Kind of like seeing
an old friend...

Sad to see a link to the past go away...

Date: 07/16/14 20:44
Author: Mgoldman

columbusrailnut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sad to see this B&O car lost. Wonder why it was
> cut up...

Plenty more where that came from... NOT.

Wondering why, myself with the assumption it was
more expensive to move the to purchase - or it
would've cost less to build a new one...

Sad - sure would be nice to have some B&O passenger
cars to add to the collection in Baltimore. It's
bad enough - what, was it? Two "modern" B&O loco-
motives that were saved. You'd thing there'd be
some extra value to anything B&O though I suppose
a few diesels live on?

/Mitch

Date: 07/16/14 22:27
Author: lee45174

What did they do with the trucks?

Date: 07/16/14 22:40
Author: davew833

In the first picture on the right side you can see where the B&O herald was on the end of the car-- that's the frame and floor of the car still intact at that point and it looks like the trucks are still underneath it.

Date: 07/17/14 02:24
Author: ClubCar

OK, Let me tell you what I know. The 3303 in Hyndman was supposed to be going to the West Virginia Railroad Museum in Elkins, W.V. My guess is that either the car was in too poor of shape overall or the museum has too many other projects (which they do) and couldn't afford to spend the money.
Now here is what all of you B&O fans can do to be positive. The B&O sister car #3302 was donated in 1995 to the B&O R.R. Museum in Baltimore. When it went to the museum it was in operational shape, having been running on the former Western Maryland Railway out of Union Bridge, Maryland in a dinner and excursion train. When the car arrived at the B&O R.R. Museum the management who accepted the 3302 promised to maintain this car forever. The 3302, named the "Edward G. Hooper" has a lot more history than its' sister car 3303 that was just cut up. The present management at the B&O R.R. museum is NOT taking care of the 3302 unfortunately, and the car is sitting outside rusting away needed all kinds of body work and paint just for starters. Are you willing to help with the 3302?
Please take a few minutes and write to: Mr. Courtney Wilson, Executive Director, B&O Railroad Museum, 901 W. Pratt Street, Baltimore, MD 21223. Please express your concern for restoring this now one-of-a-kind treasure right now. Thank you folks, one and all.

John M. in White Marsh, Maryland

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0536 seconds