Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > E Units on the move

Date: 07/24/14 10:03
E Units on the move
Author: agrafton

FEC2000 and I had hoped we might be able to catch the E-Units on the move that were stored at Ohio Rail in Minerva but the were moved under
cover of darkness and were sitting today at W&LE’s connection to CVSR at Hazel Street in Akron, Ohio FEC informed me. So I went down
and grabbed a few photos as FEC was fishing on Lake Erie and I suggested to him to have the Boat operator troll at 40 mph so he could get back.
These E-Units will be restored quote TO member nkpsteam779 "Yes this units and passenger cars are heading to the West 3rd Street Roundhouse in Cleveland.."
from RADs post.
I show a comparison of these photos and ones that I took in October 2009 and what surprised me most was how good those photos, 2009, were with my first DSLR.
I still have that camera and my just start taking it out again I also did a aerial flyover and will post later.
Photos marked accordingly,
Alan

photo 1 E-Unit 61 sits just down from Hazel Street in Akron on W&LE’s connection track CVSR will pick up Monday, I think
photo 2 in October 2009 E-Unit 4258 sits in the lead at Ohio Rail in Minerva shot with first DSLR Canon RebelXT
photo 3 the second E-Unit

Alan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/14 11:17 by agrafton.

Date: 07/24/14 10:04
Re: E Units on the move

photo 4 the 4258 sits in back compared to October 2009 with baggie and passengers making up the rest of the train
photo 5 nose to nose 60 and 62 at Hazel Street
photo 6 October, 2009 nose to nose 60 and 62 at Ohio Rail in Minerva my RebelXT photo

Alan

Date: 07/24/14 10:04

photo 7 end of train last passenger car with baggie car ahead.

These E-Units are probably old PRR and Erie Units anyone know let us know.
Thanks,
Alan

Date: 07/24/14 10:15
Author: retcsxcfm

agrafton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> photo 7 end of train last passenger car with
> baggie car ahead.
>
> These E-Units are probably old PRR and Erie Units
> anyone know let us know.
> Thanks,
> Alan

61 and 62 are exPRR.Single headlight/lifting rings

Uncle Joe,Seffner,fl.

Date: 07/24/14 10:20
Author: erie833

agrafton Wrote:
> These E-Units are probably old PRR and Erie Units
> anyone know let us know.
> Thanks,
> Alan

See above post for the history- I did my homework before posting. I called Jeff this morning about these. And these do not have CVSR reporting marks on them. The CTVX is the Midwest group, so I'll do some deeper digging to find out where these will eventually wind up.

RAD

Date: 07/24/14 11:24
Author: RAILWATCH

Nice photos!

I was hoping they'd come up here, I don't live far from 3rd.

- Denny

Date: 07/24/14 11:27
Author: ClubCar

I am glad to learn that these old E-units are going to be rebuilt for passenger service on the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad. I was really surprised to know that these 4 locomotives were still around. Alan (agrafton) is correct with the history he gave as both the 61 & 62 were originally Pennsylvania engines.
Some additional facts: The #60 did operate in MARC train service as the owners (two brothers) had a lease agreement with the Maryland DOT back in the early 90's. The owners had planned to lease out the other engines to MARC and the #61 and #62 were repainted into B&O Blue with yellow stripes in the Baltimore CSX Bay View Yard. Members of the group called "Railroad Passenger Cars" (RRP) worked on these engines and painted them. However as these two units were finished and available to begin working the MARC Commuter Trains something happened between the owners and MDOT and their lease was cancelled. The #60 was pulled from service and sent over to the Bay View CSX yard with the others. These owners did NOT have a lease agreement with CSX, and they were not able to obtain one. Out of the courtesy of RRP they were allowed to use the tracks leased by RRP since the two brothers had joined RRP. However something happened within RRP and the owners of the E units were told to vacate the property. Eventually RRP closed down in November 1994 due to the lack of excursion business and they donated their remaining cars to the B&O R.R. Museum in Baltimore, and very shortly thereafter the E units were moved from the CSX Bay View property.

John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 07/24/14 13:20
Author: krm152

Here are the histories:
#62 was PRR 5905A, PC 4305, NJDOT 4305, NJDOT 4324, MARC 62
#61 was PRR 5793A, PC 4253, NJDOT 4253, NJDOT 4325, MARC 61
#60 was IC 4023, ICG 4023, NJDOT 4327, MARC 60
#4258 was IC 4033, ICG 4033, NJDOT 4258
ALLEN

Date: 07/24/14 13:27
Author: ClubCar

krm152 Wrote:
> Here are the histories:
> #62 was PRR 5905A, PC 4305, NJDOT 4305, NJDOT
> 4324, MARC 62
> #61 was PRR 5793A, PC 4253, NJDOT 4253, NJDOT
> 4325, MARC 61
> #60 was IC 4023, ICG 4023, NJDOT 4327, MARC 60
> #4258 was IC 4033, ICG 4033, NJDOT 4258
> ALLEN
Thanks for your history; however remember ONLY the #60 operated for MARC. The rest did not as the lease was cancelled and the engines never left the yard where they were painted.

Date: 07/24/14 14:33
Author: SeaboardMan

If CSX had any sense of style they would buy, restore, and use them instead of those sawed off Amtrak things.

Date: 07/24/14 15:11
Author: ns1000

Interesting...!!! Thanks for posting.

Date: 07/24/14 17:20
Author: jmbreitigan

Thanks for posting Alan. Nice job. Hope Jeff catches something good : )
John

Date: 07/24/14 19:39

jmbreitigan Wrote:
> Thanks for posting Alan. Nice job. Hope Jeff
> catches something good : )
> John

Hey John Thanks, almost forgot my nose photo also...lol

Date: 07/25/14 13:50
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Such good news that these classic ex-Pennsy E units
and those passenger cars will be restored and will
actually operate! I love it when old locomotives
and cars are saved.

Nice photos! I really appreciate the history of these
priceless locomotives, too.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0597 seconds