Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX Leasers Issue

Date: 07/24/14 18:34
CSX Leasers Issue
Author: shooting4fun

I know I sound like a Broken record by now. But Why Is CSX Continue to Lease Locomotives But Other Railroads are trying to Buy Used Locomotives or New ones from GE or EMD, I have heard Many Say it is cheaper to Own the Locomotives than to Lease.

Date: 07/24/14 19:46
Re: CSX Leasers Issue
Author: Trains247

most of the leased fleet we have has been on long term lease and were all just stored across the system and now being put back into service due to the power shortage. I can't say for certain it is all like that and we haven't leased more but i believe this is most if not all the issues concerning the leased power.

SD

Date: 07/24/14 23:06
Author: ts1457

When NS buys a unit, it can run it now and rebuild it later in-house. I don't think CSX has developed the same capabilities.

Date: 07/25/14 06:04

ts1457 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When NS buys a unit, it can run it now and rebuild
> it later in-house. I don't think CSX has developed
> the same capabilities.

CSX Has a rebuild program for the SD40-2 And could rebuild them later

Date: 07/26/14 09:35
Author: MSchwiebert

A couple of factors that could be in play here.
1. Buying new locomotives. Does GE have any production capacity to give for this year? (Based on history, it's safe to assume that EMD is a non-factor on new purchases for CSX).
2. Purchasing used. Is what's available worth purchasing? Given the activity that's been going on, the prices will be inflated and the available product not the best. Also, does the available product match the need that's out there? (My understanding is that there's a greater need - at least on CSX for 4 motor units at this time)
3. With CSX being firmly in the GE camp, they are not exposed to EMD not having an EPA compliant product ready. They can continue their normal purchase program of GE products. Obviously there is a risk that those compliant engines will have issues, but that risk would have to be taken regardless.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/26/14 21:14

MSchwiebert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A couple of factors that could be in play here.
> 1. Buying new locomotives. Does GE have any
> production capacity to give for this year? (Based
> on history, it's safe to assume that EMD is a
> non-factor on new purchases for CSX).
> 2. Purchasing used. Is what's available worth
> purchasing? Given the activity that's been going
> on, the prices will be inflated and the available
> product not the best. Also, does the available
> product match the need that's out there? (My
> understanding is that there's a greater need - at
> least on CSX for 4 motor units at this time)
> 3. With CSX being firmly in the GE camp, they are
> not exposed to EMD not having an EPA compliant
> product ready. They can continue their normal
> purchase program of GE products. Obviously there
> is a risk that those compliant engines will have
> issues, but that risk would have to be taken
> regardless.
>
> Posted from iPhone

I got word that CSX Has the SD70ACE's on the Table to possibly buy and are not ruling them out (this info comes from a Source at CSX as well) and I understand there is = on the Need for 6 & 4 Axle units I have a friend in Birmingham who has been saying the last 3 Months at least 3 or 4 days a week that CSX has been running out of 6 axle power and the same has been happening in Nashville also the FRA has been Putting Locomotives in the Shop as well in Nashville and Birmingham and that has made the 4 & 6 Axle Shortage worse. it is time CSX dose something even if it calls for CSX to spend Money on a New Rebuild Shop, Huntington, Selkirk and Waycross Need to do repairs Like they are made for Or at least Expand the Buildings at Huntington, Selkirk and Waycross so each shop can work on a Rebuild either 4 or 6 Axle and Do repairs on Many Locomotives like they need to.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds