Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Photography at Joliet Union Station

Date: 07/28/14 09:47
Photography at Joliet Union Station
Author: DundasMP23

A quick search for photos taken at Joliet Union Station reveals that recent ones are few and far between. Is this due to the fact that there is now fencing on the middle platform limiting angles, or are railfans no longer welcome on the platform? Any insight is appreciated.

Rob Smith
Hamilton, ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/14 09:47 by DundasMP23.

Date: 07/28/14 09:50
Re: Photography at Joliet Union Station
Author: kbmiflyer

My son (10) and I have hung out on the platform a couple of times this summer in the middle of the day with no one bothering us. We took a few Iphone and Ipad videos/movies. There were some Metra trucks / personnel around and no one seemed bothered by us.

Date: 07/28/14 12:49
Author: CJ

Good question - I was planning a trip there soon myself, thanks for asking this! I've seen numerous photos taken from the southeast side of the diamonds, how is this accomplished? It looks to me that some pretty considerable trespassing is involved in getting over there.

Chris

Date: 07/28/14 17:36
Author: BobE

CJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good question - I was planning a trip there soon
> myself, thanks for asking this! I've seen
> numerous photos taken from the southeast side of
> the diamonds, how is this accomplished? It looks
> to me that some pretty considerable trespassing is
> involved in getting over there.
>
> Chris

It has been 20ish years since I've been in Joliet....but the answer to the question is that once upon a time, no one gave a rat's patoot if you walked across to the south side of the tracks. I've got some nice evening shots of IAIS trains departing after evening rush hour in that fashion.

I'm going to doubt you could still do that and not get chased off...or taken away in handcuffs.

BobE

Date: 07/28/14 20:05
Author: Gonut1

One thing for sure in all my railfanning years and there were lots of them, when you have one or more kids with you no one bothers you at all if you stay out of the ROW. Period. Suggestion, rent a neighbor's kid if you want to railfan without being hassled!
REALLY! As soon as my kids got older and drifted off to cars and babes and I go trackside by myself I've been pestered by local, State and railroad police. Obviously if you have kids you aren't planning on blowing up the local CP on on your favorite railroad. Holy crap, what an awful situation this country has found itself in. The whole anti-fan thing has really caused me to stay away from the rails. any enjoyment is short lived.
Gonut

Date: 07/29/14 05:17
Author: DundasMP23

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One thing for sure in all my railfanning years and
> there were lots of them, when you have one or more
> kids with you no one bothers you at all if you
> stay out of the ROW. Period. Suggestion, rent a
> neighbor's kid if you want to railfan without
> being hassled!

Good point! I'll bring my four year old son with us... I'm sure the guys won't mind! Thanks for the laugh. It's sad but true.

Rob Smith
Hamilton, ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds