Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > An Erie Sunday in Chesterton

Date: 07/28/14 14:00
An Erie Sunday in Chesterton
Author: WrongMain

Thanks to the fellow T.O. members and HU.com, a trip to Chesterton Sunday proved to be very rewarding. The big prize was the Erie Heritage unit, which was one of many that I hadn't seen, but the three hour wait for him was filled with several other photo worthy subjects. The skies to the east of us were storm filled and the clouds overhead came and went quickly due to the windy conditions we encountered, but for some reason, the sun came out at all the right times, something I'm not very used to, knowing my luck. We got there shortly after 3pm, just in time to miss two trains. But it didn't take long for more to show up, which is only natural in Chesterton.

1. 37M had been sitting just east of town due to single tracking west of Chesterton (MOW on a Sunday, dispatcher's curse.) He got the lineup and came by us with a nice looking CitiRail lease unit.

2. W01Q, an extra westbound, was next with a CN SD70M-2 and an ICG SD70 trailing.

3. One of the few NS powered trains that we saw came east after the W01 had cleared. It was 36J with a C44-9W leading a CP and a couple more NS units. I thought I'd try this one in B&W for a change

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wrongmain/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/14 14:07 by WrongMain.

Date: 07/28/14 14:06
Re: An Erie Sunday in Chesterton

Finally, the Erie Heritage unit showed up but sat just out of reach with his lights out. He was held for over an hour for two Amtrak Michigan Service trains and two eastbounds.

4. The 1068 sits east of town while the rear end of the first eastbound races by him.

5. The second eastbound showed up about ten minutes later, a CP trackage rights train.

6. Finally released, the big green machine cranks em up and heads west. And we headed to din-din in one of Chesterton's elite restaurants. I believe it was called George's Gyros Spot? And yeah, I liked it....

More stuff on Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/wrongmain/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/14 14:08 by WrongMain.

Date: 07/28/14 14:10
Author: RAILWATCH

Very nice!

- Denny

Date: 07/28/14 14:33
Author: ns1000

GREAT pics!!! I like Pics 1 and 3!!

Date: 07/28/14 15:30
Author: illini73

WrongMain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And we headed to din-din in one of Chesterton's elite restaurants. I believe
> it was called George's Gyros Spot? And yeah, I liked it....

Yup. It's "The Original George's Gyros Spot" at 325 N. Calumet Rd. I may eat there myself if a planned trip to Chesterton this weekend comes off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/14 21:48 by illini73.

Date: 07/28/14 20:35
Author: toledopatch

Glad you did well.

I don't know for certain, but the symbol for the westbound with the CN units was probably W1Q (extra 31Q). NS road-train root symbols only have three characters, not four.

Date: 07/28/14 20:38

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Glad you did well.
>
> I don't know for certain, but the symbol for the
> westbound with the CN units was probably W1Q
> (extra 31Q). NS road-train root symbols only have
> three characters, not four.

That's my old CSX nature getting in the way again. There, when in doubt you added an 0 and you couldn't go wrong....

Date: 07/29/14 04:51
Author: oldSALrailfan

Nice photos WrongMain...especially the B&W...good catch on the Erie also!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0617 seconds