Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A Drone's View Of 64W/CA-05 On A Very Windy Day

Date: 07/28/14 15:25
A Drone's View Of 64W/CA-05 On A Very Windy Day
Author: Out_Of_Service

it was VERY windy today and i wanted to see how the drone would handle the wind ... train is 64W in the charge of Conrail local crew YPCA-05 making the delivery ... i got there just as they shoved the 112 cars into the Sunoco facility (to the right)cut off the rear 70+ cars in the plant and were pulling the rest of the loads on the headend off the lead onto the siding ... the siding is in the distance beyond where the power is about to cross the street crossing ...

all in all ... i think the drone held up well in the 15-20mph winds

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/14 17:59 by Out_Of_Service.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/28/14 16:46
Re: A Drone's View On A Very Windy Day
Author: Markedup

OOS

I appreciate the huge advance in photography you have made since you first joined TO.Your knowledgeable
Posts, I think, have been one of the best additions to the Eastern board in a decade.

Thanks

Mark

Ft.Wayne, In.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/28/14 17:02
Author: TCnR

Drones have been in the news a lot recently. There's talk about them at work, kinda what if's.

Is there a 'Drone-Orders' or some sort of discussion site about the combination of Drones and photography? Or any other specific use for that matter?

National News was pretty excited about the fly-by of the Space Needle in Seattle last week.

t4p.

Date: 07/28/14 17:34

Markedup Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OOS
>
> I appreciate the huge advance in photography you
> have made since you first joined TO.Your
> knowledgeable
> Posts, I think, have been one of the best
> additions to the Eastern board in a decade.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark
>
> Ft.Wayne, In.
>
> Posted from Android
thanks Mark ... the factory defect on the P&S didn't help with the blurry images but my knowledge in photography grows everyday even if i earn how to compose an image which i have a tendency to lean the camera left when i shoot ... you words are kind ... altho sometimes i feel just the opposite ... compared to some of the knowledgeable people on the boards here i feel kind of stupid sometimes ... some readers who don't know me may see me as a know it all and that's ok which all i can to say to that is ... "I WISH" ... i wouldn't be where i am in life at this point in time ... i try to post things of interest for readers just as others do for people like myself ... as for things other than images ... i'll post replies to threads i've either experienced myself ... witnessed or have first hand knowledge through a trusted source ... sometimes i'll make an assumption that i really screwed up and if i find this to be the case before someone else does i won't hesitate to correct myself

TCnR Wrote:
> Drones have been in the news a lot recently.
> There's talk about them at work, kinda what if's.
>
> Is there a 'Drone-Orders' or some sort of
> discussion site about the combination of Drones
> and photography? Or any other specific use for
> that matter?
>
> National News was pretty excited about the fly-by
> of the Space Needle in Seattle last week.
>
> t4p.

what i've found out T about drones is as long as people don't have an expectancy for privacy there the drones aren't an issue ... house windows or trespassing are the illegal issues that drones can attract ... backyards are something i think that might be an issue because people put up fences for privacy hence the term "privacy fence" so i can see some issues with that but on the other hand if a back yard can be seen from from neighbor's window that argument goes out the window ...

the google employee who flew the drone past the Seattle Needle didn't break any laws ... it was the public reaction of ire and fear that brought all attention ... he was ASKED by authorities and agreed not to fly the drone for the duration of his stay in town ...

i have a vid of the power heading nb but that wind really was whipping and the vid is real shakey

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/14 19:07 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 07/28/14 18:11
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for the additional drone footage, Out of Service. I'm learning a great deal from your experiments, and appreciate your commentary as you try out new ideas.

I wonder if you moved the drone gently into the wind, if that would reduce the buffeting the drone gets in the high winds? Perhaps follow the train as it moves toward the main, etc?

A question - how does Bandit like the drone? I'm sure he's been curious about it.

Date: 07/28/14 18:30

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> Thanks for the additional drone footage, Out of
> Service. I'm learning a great deal from your
> experiments, and appreciate your commentary as you
> try out new ideas.
>
> I wonder if you moved the drone gently into the
> wind, if that would reduce the buffeting the drone
> gets in the high winds? Perhaps follow the train
> as it moves toward the main, etc?
>
> A question - how does Bandit like the drone? I'm
> sure he's been curious about it.

my limited experience has found the more you fight the wind the shakier the vid ... because the wind direction is constantly changing it's better to just let it hover ... you tube has a video stabilizer which i'm processing now ... my youtube name is under one of my former TOs handle Trainchaser55 ... i'll be posting vids there

Bandit could care less about the drone unless it's invading his space

Date: 07/28/14 19:40
Author: agrafton

Nice, keep building on each video

Date: 07/28/14 20:14
Re: A Drone's View Of 64W/CA-05 On A Very Windy Day
Author: Gonut1

OOS
I need to check this out this flick on company time tomorrow. I gave them enough of my time today and tonight! I'm beat and need rest. I looked at your Pavonia flight pix earlier. Keep practicing. Great stuff never before imagined possible!
Thanks for the efforts and to think a couple years ago you were posting those awful blurry pix due to a bad camera or whatever!
You really surprised me with the quad copter pix! I had no inkling you were up to this.
Go

Date: 07/29/14 04:11
Author: jmbreitigan

OOS, I think the drone did a good job in that wind maintaining position. Practice, practice. I can see your improvement. I look forward to your informative postings.
John

Date: 07/29/14 07:22
Author: bioyans

And then, there's this ... which won't help advocates of drones one bit ...

http://news.msn.com/us/toy-drone-disrupts-aircraft-fighting-california-wildfire

Date: 07/29/14 09:53

bioyans Wrote:
> And then, there's this ... which won't help
> advocates of drones one bit ...
>
> http://news.msn.com/us/toy-drone-disrupts-aircraft
> -fighting-california-wildfire

with more and more drones coming online the likelihood of idiots doing stupid things not yet illegal but nontheless having interference of some kind or perception of a threat there's no doubt legislation is right around the corner for these things ... i vision fly established fly zones and off limit zones in the not too distant future

Date: 07/30/14 16:39
Author: TCnR

Here's one place where Drone-owners can post their photos:

Dronestagram

I'll check it out off the clock.

Date: 07/30/14 19:45
Author: 567Chant

These will come in handy, providing foamer views of incidents that have restricted access on the ground.
btw, beginning at 1:36, was that a Big Brown package car driving on the wrong side of the road, nearly colliding with a vehicle turning left?
...Lorenzo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0751 seconds