Home Open Account Help 174 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A tiny Wheeling train, a big airdock

Date: 07/29/14 15:04
A tiny Wheeling train, a big airdock
Author: erie833

Continuing my foray under the clouds today....
While checking out the Akron Fulton Airport to see if a blimp was in yet for the golf game this weekend a train horn was heard. The only rail line within earshot is the former B&O line to Canton which was used at one time by the CVSR on their Canton trains, now owned by the county. As there is no Canton service this year, the horn had me curious with the only thing it could be was the Wheeling which services a plastic factory near the big airdock. I'm not real familiar with the schedule of this local but this is only the 2nd time I've seen it in daylight, so I consider it a lucky catch....as well as some luck having a painted unit too. My main goal was to catch it passing the airdock that the large Navy airships "Akron" and "Macon" were constructed in during the 1930's. With the train working the firm for a bit I was able to get views from both sides. After the local was done near the airdock it went north, made a lift at a chemical place, then passed through some of the old Goodyear factory buildings. Sun didn't co-operate on that one :(

RAD

Date: 07/29/14 15:46
Re: A tiny Wheeling train, a big airdock
Author: Kimball

Airdock??? Here in Tustin in So Cal, they just call them "Blimp Hangers?"

Date: 07/29/14 15:49
Author: dbrcnw

If Goodyear is providing TV for the golf event they may well operate out of their base at Wingfoot Lake. Of course they could put up the mast and go out of Akron Fulton.

The airdock no longer is used for airships.

DaleR

Date: 07/29/14 15:58

dbrcnw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Goodyear is providing TV for the golf event
> they may well operate out of their base at
> Wingfoot Lake. Of course they could put up the
> mast and go out of Akron Fulton.
> The airdock no longer is used for airships.
> DaleR

MetLife provides the golf coverage with one of the "Snoopy" blimps, and last year one of the Budweiser lightships was around too. And while manned airships are no longer constructed at Akron, unmanned surveillance blimps are.

RAD

Date: 07/29/14 16:33
Author: ns1000

Cool pics!!

Date: 07/29/14 17:47
Author: oldSALrailfan

More great pics!!

Date: 07/29/14 17:57
Author: mikecollins

Neat photos, and you're right--a great catch!

Somebody already may have posted this here...maybe you?...but the new Goodyear blimps technically aren't blimps at all, but Zeppelins. Both are lighter than air, of course--main difference is that a Zepplin has a rigid structure supporting the skin. Let all the gas out of a blimp and all you have left is a large mound of rubberized fabric. <g>

--Mike

Date: 07/29/14 18:12
Author: agrafton

Nice catch!

Date: 07/29/14 18:41

mikecollins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Somebody already may have posted this here...maybe
> you?...but the new Goodyear blimps technically
> aren't blimps at all, but Zeppelins. Both are
> lighter than air, of course--main difference is
> that a Zepplin has a rigid structure supporting
> the skin. Let all the gas out of a blimp and all
> you have left is a large mound of rubberized
> fabric.
> --Mike

Thanks Mike. The new NT airship is actually considered a "semi-rigid". "Wingfoot 1" as it will be known was flying over this very airdock and train just before I got there, a missed photo op for sure. Attached are 3 from last Friday of "Wingfoot 1" at Wingfoot Lake in Suffield Township outside of Akron. That hanger was built in 1917 and expanded several times since then.

RAD

Date: 07/30/14 04:16
Author: mikecollins

Roger, I've lost track, have they officially dedicated the first new airship and put it into service yet?

--Mike

Date: 07/30/14 05:34
Author: nicknack

I wonder if there is any trace of helium delivery spots via rail to such a large blimp airfield.

Date: 07/30/14 05:58

"Wingfoot 1" has not been formally christened yet, late August from what I hear. As for rail service, the Wheeling (original) served Wingfoot and the B&O served the Akron airdock. Both spurs went right to the hangers, the B&O went all the way inside. Airship parts were delivered by rail also.
RAD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0602 seconds