Home Open Account Help 185 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Penn Central on the old Penn Central

Date: 07/30/14 20:10
Penn Central on the old Penn Central
Author: FEC2000

I caught 64R at Lake St in Ravenna, OH today. At this very location back in 1970 a Penn Central freight rear-ended a empty ore train at this location putting three units on their sides. The ore train was heading west and was stopped at RAVE Tower. The following freight ran a red signal and plowed into the caboose of the ore train. The crew jumped from the caboose, but the freight crew on the engines rode out the collision injuring three of them, none with serious injuries. I was 8 years old at the time of the crash and my father was on the fire dept and took me to the scene later that day.

Date: 07/30/14 20:17
Re: Penn Central on the old Penn Central
Author: erie833

Thanks for the reports today boss, allowed me to catch it on the way home at Atwater, Ohio, MP 75 on the NS Cleveland Line.

RAD

Date: 07/30/14 20:44
Author: coach

By far, the PC paint scheme is the most perfect one for the SD-70ACe. Very imposing. The engine is brutish and scary looking, and the all-black scheme serves to reinforce that image.

NS is good, too, along with a few others.

Date: 07/30/14 22:35
Author: wabash2800

Not to be picky, but PC would have used a smaller herald on the nose. But regardless, I agree, it looks brutish.

Date: 07/31/14 05:16
Author: agrafton

Nice catches, like the angle.

Date: 07/31/14 05:27
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice images Jeff. Nice B&W shot Roger.
John

Date: 07/31/14 05:33
Author: RAILWATCH

I love that ground level view in the first image. PC looks mammoth.

- Denny

Date: 07/31/14 06:56
Author: onblock

The logo on the nose of the PC heritage unit reminds me of the over sized logo Alco used on PC's Century 636s.

Date: 07/31/14 07:44
Author: Gateway97

Great shots guys! Anyone ever liken the PC logo to folded metal? This topic made me observe that for some reason.

Date: 08/04/14 13:41
Author: ns1000

VERY NICE...!!! Thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds