Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Folkston GA

Date: 08/19/14 15:29
Folkston GA
Author: dstill

This is a warning signal in Folkston GA. I have been told the bumper was made from an old steam engine wheel?

Date: 08/19/14 16:20
Re: Folkston GA
Author: africansteam

That is correct, but to be more precise it is a portion of a driving wheel tire. When tires were worn down to the point where they were no longer safe for operation, or if they had developed cracks or other defects they were removed from the wheel and a new tire was mounted. The process involved heating the tire to expand it so that it would slip over the wheel, then allowing it to cool and shrink tight against the wheel.

On a parallel note the three interlocking rings of the German steel conglomerate Krupp represent the founder's first success in the steel business - driving wheel tires!

Cheers,
Jack

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/14 18:21 by africansteam.

Date: 08/19/14 21:09
Author: kpcmcpkva

I thought 3 interlocked rings stood for Narragansett beer, or was it another brewery??

Date: 08/19/14 21:42
Author: africansteam

kpcmcpkva Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought 3 interlocked rings stood for
> Narragansett beer, or was it another brewery??

Ballentine's! Hey, get your Ballantine!...Just look for the three-ring sign/And ask the man for Ballantine."

FROM WIKIPEDIA: The Ballantine logo is three interlocking rings, in a design known as Borromean rings. New York Yankees announcer Mel Allen called it "the Three-Ring Sign."[4] In the logo used in advertising, the rings were labeled "Purity, Body, Flavor".[5][6] According to one legend, Peter Ballantine was inspired to use the pattern after seeing condensation rings left by beer glasses on a tabletop.[7]

Bottles of Ballantine's can be seen in photos of American World War II aviators debriefing on Iwo Jima after a raid against Tokyo.[8]

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 08/20/14 02:46
Author: Narr8rdanny

Correct.
ACL and later SCL used these all over the south for crossing mast protection.

Danny Harmon
Tampa

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0369 seconds