Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Horseshoe Curve Foilage

Date: 07/11/02 12:09
Horseshoe Curve Foilage
Author: rr4601

Hi

Several years ago I went to the Horseshoe Curve to watch trains. Well, the foilage was so overgrown you couldn't see anything. I haven't been back since. Sad, since that was my "home" back in late Penn Central/early Conrail days (the place I lived was my parent's house).

A friend of ours is taking the train from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh and she would like to know if the foilage has been trimmed back at Horseshoe Curve. She would like to see the train she's on the way the old-timers used to when they went around the curve.

So, my question is...since I haven't heard anything in a while...how is the overgrown foiliage at Horseshoe Curve? Is it gone? Or should I tell her to nevermind looking at Horseshoe Curve; it isn't worth it?

Dave.

Date: 07/11/02 15:58
Re: Horseshoe Curve Foilage
Author: 5711

I'll be going there next week. I'll let you know.

-PRR 5711

Date: 07/11/02 17:39
Author: GAP

Horseshoe National Forest ?

Date: 07/11/02 17:55
Author: CRsmurf

I can tell you right now, Don't bother looking,
Because the tree trimming really has started
in any worth while amount yet.

Tony K, CRsmurf

Date: 07/11/02 17:56
Author: CRsmurf

Should say "Has Not" started yet. LOL!!
Sorry about that.

Tony K, CRsmurf

Date: 07/11/02 18:24
Author: kevin157

Hi, I was at the curve in mid April, just when the leaves were starting to blossom. At that time, you could see through the trees, so it wasn't too bad. A friend of mine visited the curve on Memorial Day weekend. With the leaves in full bloom, it was nearly impossible to see an approaching or departing train from the viewing area. There is a plan in the works to remove the foilage, which will cost $50,000. There are signs posted in the admissions/museum building asking for donations. They have secured a $40,000 grant, but need $10,000 more. Tell your friend to give it a try. If she can't see the rest of the train, she will still be able to see the many railfans at the viewing area. Hope this helps! Kevin

Date: 07/11/02 18:43

another pic.

Date: 07/11/02 18:48
Author: P

$50,000 to cut down a bunch of trees??!!

Man, I'm in the wrong business!

Date: 07/11/02 18:50

one more, for good measure! Hope these pics give you your answer. This was in mid April. All of those trees have leaves now! Kevin157

Date: 07/11/02 18:56

Hey! That's what the sign said! There are a lot of trees. Have you ever had to have a large tree removed from your yard? Costs hundreds of dollars. For 1 tree. With all that needs cutting down at the curve, believe me, $50,000 is a bargain! Kevin157P wrote:

> $50,000 to cut down a bunch of trees??!!
>
> Man, I'm in the wrong business!
>
> [%sig%]

Date: 07/11/02 20:01
Author: toledopatch

Where did all this "foilage" come from? Did a unit aluminum train derail and leave foil all over the place?

Date: 07/11/02 20:13
Author: P

kevin157 wrote:

> Have you ever had to have a large tree removed from your yard?
> Costs hundreds of dollars. For 1 tree. With all that needs
> cutting down at the curve, believe me, $50,000 is a bargain!

Only difference is.... when you remove a tree from your yard, you have to take measures to avoid tipping the tree onto your house! At the Curve, you just need a bunch of chain saws & start cutting at the base & let them fall.

(For those nitpickers, this is oversimplified, but the point is that there are no houses [that we know of] that could be damaged by falling trees here)

Date: 07/11/02 21:29
Thanks
Author: waybill

In late September, I had planned to visit the area, but your photos convinced me not to do so. May have to forget about traveling east and return to the Wyoming coal country again.

Date: 07/12/02 03:58
Wow, thats a no brainer!!!!
Author: pizzaman

Powder River Basin or Horseshoe Curve. Go west young man!

Date: 07/12/02 05:20
Re: Wow, thats a no brainer!!!!
Author: toledopatch

Nope, if you can't get the shot at Horseshoe Curve, there's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO here in the East. Why didn't somebody tell my parents that 37 years ago, so I could have been born a Californian?

Date: 07/12/02 06:35
Author: cabin

I was up there around the 1st. of July and the trees have not been cut down.

But IMHO there are still trains to be seen.

See http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?f=2&i=82729&t=82729

Cabin,
Pequea PA

Date: 07/12/02 08:58
Trees being cut as we speak
Author: jim Kosty

I was at Horseshoe Curve yesterday and there were quite a few guys from a firm in Johnstown armed with chainsaws, cutting down tallest trees. The west side (uphill side) is now again visible to a great degree, and you can see the descent of approaching trains. The crew said they will be cutting the east side of the curve starting Monday. I am glad to see this. A really good trainwatching spot is in Altoona directly across from the Amtrak station platforms. It is behind the McDonald's and actaully between the Ames Store and the RR Museum's rolling stock yard. There is a parking lot up to the tracks, and better yet, an overhead walkway that has benches and an elevator, open areas on either end to shoot photos from. Sure isn't as cool as it was, now that it's mostly NS black crap running the trains, but it's still fairly busy. A train is a train.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1101 seconds