Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > "Chasing the WSOR... In Michigan"

Date: 08/31/14 22:11
"Chasing the WSOR... In Michigan"
Author: aussiehinz

Watco's ownership of Wisconsin & Southern has allowed it the flexibility to make occasional equipment moves and transfers between WSOR and sister Watco road Grand Elk, in western Michigan. Two WSOR SD40-2's have temporarily been assigned to GDLK, and both of them teamed up to lead the Kalamazoo-Elkhart Turn, Trains 301 (southbound) and 302 (northbound). Thanks to a helpful tip off that 301/302 would operate during the afternoon today, I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and seek out the train in southwestern Michigan. Here are a couple images captured, along with two unrelated photos taken at Elkhart on the way back home to Chicago.

Cheers,

aussiehinz

1. GDLK #301 rolls south through Three Rivers MI, on its way from Kalamazoo to Elkhart.

2. The southbound train curves across Lutz Road, between Three Rivers and Constantine MI.

3. After working the Anderson Grain facility south of White Pigeon MI, Train #301 exits the passing siding at Vistula IN, just across the state line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/14 22:18 by aussiehinz.

Date: 08/31/14 22:11
Re: "Chasing the WSOR... In Michigan"
Author: aussiehinz

4. GDLK #301 splits a pair of NYC era signals near Vistula IN, dating from the 1960 upgrade of this portion of the LS&MS "Old Road" for manifest freight traffic between Detroit and Elkhart.

5. At Elkhart, a westbound NS merchandise train ducks under the distinctive signal bridge at the east end of the station platform.

6. At CP 426, a westbound intermodal train "blasts off" for Chicago after a brief stop at the west end of Elkhart Yard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/14 22:17 by aussiehinz.

Date: 09/01/14 04:47
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice work sir.
John

Date: 09/01/14 04:50
Author: toledopatch

Wow, great stuff with the Grand Elk chase. I didn't know they ran the Elkhart job at all on Sundays, was this an off-schedule thing because of Labor Day weekend (run the normal Monday train on Sunday afternoon)?

Date: 09/01/14 07:09
Author: bluesboyst

Pic 4 is great...Does WSOR own that portion of the railroad?

Date: 09/01/14 08:28
Author: DJ-12

Very nice Aussie. Wonder where the stone in the head end was going to/from?

Date: 09/01/14 10:40
Author: highgreengraphics

Very nice shots! === === = === JLH

Date: 09/01/14 10:44
Author: Gateway97

Those units are eye-popping red. Fantastic coverage. I hate to see those NYC small-target searchlights go away.

Date: 09/01/14 13:09
Author: ns1000

SUPER pics!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 09/01/14 20:46
Author: WrongMain

I love these shots. The pics of the old NYC signals are as great as the WSOR diesels.

Date: 09/03/14 07:20
Author: cnr6776

WrongMain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love these shots. The pics of the old NYC
> signals are as great as the WSOR diesels.

This.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0357 seconds