Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > [Stuart, FL] Pelican Cafe by the FEC bridge

Date: 09/01/14 09:39
[Stuart, FL] Pelican Cafe by the FEC bridge
Author: Lackawanna484

This is a shameless plug for the Pelican Cafe, a pleasant bar with an outside deck adjacent to the RiverWalk in Stuart, FL. The staff is fine with bringing you regular refills of beverages, etc while you read your magazines / books, etc as you wait for trains. Two for one beverages between 3 and 7 pm Monday - Thursday

Picture 1, a view of the Stuart bridge from the Riverwalk, in front of the Pelican

Picture 2, from the Pelican. If I'm alone, I usually let the staff run an imprint on my credit card to assure they'll be paid. And leave my book or newspaper etc behind as I take a train break. Now that most of them know me, I can walk out to select a location of my choosing. Or, just watch and listen to trains after dark.

Picture 3, adjacent to the Pelican, looking east into the lagoon. Occasionally folks will suggest a new rail alignment from the Rio area on the north shore (to your left) to the south shore, and then across several neighborhoods to connect with the current rail alignment near Monterey. That cuts out the down town craziness, and would let the AAF roar through at 100+ mph.

The visual suggests that a mile plus water crossing, and cutting through a mile of homes might not be well received in the area. (It only took 20 years to build a highway bridge over the water to Palm City, and everybody agreed it was needed.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/15 11:02 by Lackawanna484.

Date: 09/01/14 11:18
Re: [FL] Pelican Cafe by the FEC bridge
Author: JayK

I have sat and watched/photographed trains from their deck a number of times. They made coffee for us one morning before they opened. Nice people, good food, wonderful location. Highly recommended.

Date: 09/01/14 11:18
Author: DJ-12

One of my favorite places. The food is quite good, and its in a nicely maintained park, complete with a playground to help youngsters entertained until train time. Another plus is the area is quite safe, even after dark. Quite a few people strolling until midnight, and after that its just you and the fishermen if you are out waiting to do a night shot of #107. (Hope you don't mind me sharing 3 Stuart favorites).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/14 11:23 by PittsburghMike.

Date: 09/01/14 11:38
Author: DJ-12

One more..not the best shot, but it shows the cafe and its proximity to the mainline.

Date: 09/01/14 13:33
Author: ns1000

Nice pics Mike!!

Date: 09/02/14 05:23
Author: steamfan

Are there detectors nearby, or some other way to tell a train is approaching (ie, signals being called, etc.)?

John R -- CP Spring
Carlisle, PA

Date: 09/02/14 05:31

The northbound signal at Stuart bridge lights about 20-40 minutes before a nb train arrives.

I believe the southbound signal does the same for a sb, but that determination is for another trip.

Date: 09/02/14 12:48
Author: retcsxcfm

steamfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are there detectors nearby, or some other way to
> tell a train is approaching (ie, signals being
> called, etc.)?

When the bridge goes down.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 09/02/14 12:55

retcsxcfm Wrote:
> steamfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Are there detectors nearby, or some other way
> to
> > tell a train is approaching (ie, signals being
> > called, etc.)?
>
>
> When the bridge goes down.
>
>
> Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Yes. The rail bridge is normally in the up position, unless a train is in the vicinity.

Here's a thread from the other day which actually details the minute by minute change of signals lighting, warning lights, visual clues, activity etc. I created this new thread because it's a shameless plug for a wonderful bar and that upsets a few people.

<http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,3509353,3509962#msg-3509962&gt;

Date: 09/02/14 19:44
Author: steamfan

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> retcsxcfm Wrote:
> -----
> > steamfan Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Are there detectors nearby, or some other way
> > to
> > > tell a train is approaching (ie, signals
> being
> > > called, etc.)?
> >
> >
> > When the bridge goes down.
> >
> >
> > Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.
>
>
> Yes. The rail bridge is normally in the up
> position, unless a train is in the vicinity.
>
> Here's a thread from the other day which actually
> details the minute by minute change of signals
> lighting, warning lights, visual clues, activity
> etc. I created this new thread because it's a
> shameless plug for a wonderful bar and that upsets
> a few people.
>
>
>

Thanks folks...

John R -- CP Spring
Carlisle, PA

Date: 11/26/14 12:10

The Pelican Cafe is now offering gator ribs (who knew alligators had ribs?). Marinated in a citrus bbq. Pull up a seat, grab a pitcher of beer, and wait for the last runs of the SD70 etc units.

Sounds like they knew it's 30 degrees and snowing in New Jersey when they sent out the email blast.

Date: 06/26/15 11:01

The Pelican Cafe will be CLOSED on Mondays until October, for folks who plan their train watching around $10-$12 pitchers of beer, etc.

I met some nice people on their "beach" two weeks ago.In addition to the terrace on the railroad side, the Pelican has a sandy area with picnic tables, places for kids to play  in close view etc. The row of tables closest to the bay allows a good view of the FEC bridge.

Date: 07/27/15 15:14

An additional location for train watching has opened on the "Sailfish Circle" where the St Lucie Avenue crosses the FEC. Stuart Burger is a pleasant place with several craft beers on tap and a choice of quarter or half pound burgers.  Good burgers.  Not as  good as the Pelican for photography, but much better for folks who prefer a burger.

Stuart Burger

Farther south, in Port Salerno, both King Neptune and Basin Seafood are adjacent to the Florida East Coast main at Salerno Road.  Just south of the siding at Port Sewall. The King has some outdoor seating at counters, while Basin has picnic tables on the west side of the tracks

Date: 12/22/15 17:41

Stuart Burger, mentioned in the last post, has CLOSED. It will be replaced by apartments expected to rent for $1200 - $1600.

The Pelican Cafe is still open.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0605 seconds