Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Santa Fe Surprise in Pittsburgh

Date: 09/01/14 17:40
Santa Fe Surprise in Pittsburgh
Author: RuleG

Earlier this year, I spent some time in Kansas City. I saw plenty of BNSF trains, but the only warbonnet locomotive was seen with a brief glimpse through a window while getting ready to leave a restaurant near the tracks.

On Friday, I went for a evening walk on the South Side trail in Pittsburgh between 18th Street and the Duquesne Incline. As with my other walks on this trail, I saw a few CSX and NS trains on their respective lines. Around 8:00 as I am walking the return leg towards 18th Street, I hear a train blowing for the 10th Street grade crossing. As I get in position to get a photo, I was pleased to see BNSF 670, still in its warbonnet paint and complete Santa Fe lettering. Although the red paint was faded, it did not look bad for a 20-year old locomotive. The second locomotive was a CPR unit.

The photo shows the train (westbound oil cans) passing by the Frank Bryan concrete company just to the east of Station Square.

The sun had already set, so the lighting was less than ideal.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds