Home Open Account Help 392 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Rio Grande as a transition from August to Sept

Date: 09/02/14 07:05
Rio Grande as a transition from August to Sept
Author: Poker2662

On the last day of August, I found myself sitting at home with nothing to do, until W&LE sent a train my way. W&LE 109 and 303 made a run from Brewster, Ohio, to the New Cumberland siding to get 49 empty sandcars from the siding, and take them west to the yard in Brewster. The W&LE Brewster yard has been continuously completely packed with cars, and cars have been "piling up" in sidings in each direction from the yard until room is made available for them. W&LE 303, a GP40-3 in Rio Grande paint, led the train west toward Brewster. Pictures 1 and 2 show the train in Somerdale and crossing the Tuscarawas River in Zoar, respectfully.

Then the next day, September 1st, Labor Day... a holiday for some but it was still business as usual on the W&LE. Train 218 left Brewster that morning with another Rio Grande engine leading, this time W&LE 5413, an SD40T-2. The two tunnelmotors that W&LE has do not usually make it east of Brewster but a minor power shortage has caused all locomotive patterns and trends to be ignored. I chased the 5413 east since it doesn't pass through my area very often. The third picture shows train 218 passing through Bolivar in less than ideal morning lighting.

More pictures in the replies...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/14 16:26 by Poker2662.

Date: 09/02/14 07:08
Re: Rio Grande as a transition from August to Sept

Pictures four and five show W&LE 5413 leading the 218 into Somerdale. I didn't plan on getting pictures at this particular crossing but the sun came out as I got there, so I stayed for a couple pictures.
The sixth picture is the 218 crossing Route 212 outside of Leesville.

Continued...

Date: 09/02/14 07:13

Picture seven is a side view of the 5413. Then in picture eight I made way to the Route 164 overpass in Leesville for an overhead shot.
And finally picture nine is the 218 waiting at Bowerston to get permission onto the Ohio Central.

Thanks for looking.

Date: 09/02/14 08:56
Author: oklachaser

Awesome series of photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 09/02/14 09:29
Author: ns1000

GREAT stuff...!!! Thanks for sharing. I like Pic 2!!

Date: 09/02/14 10:40
Author: jmbreitigan

You really did well. Outstanding photos.
John

Date: 09/02/14 14:38
Author: rrb

Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing them! I am curious, I've not followed this railroad though I have seen various old Rio Grande units on the Wheeling & Lake Erie and their current paint scheme is similar. Is the owner a big D&RGW fan or is their another back story to this paint scheme?

Date: 09/02/14 15:03

Thanks guys. Many of the executives at W&LE, including the president, are former Rio Grande employees.

Date: 09/03/14 14:13
Author: rrb

Poker2662 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks guys. Many of the executives at W&LE,
> including the president, are former Rio Grande
> employees.

Oh ok, that makes sense. Good to see them carry on this tradition there.

Date: 09/05/14 11:54
Author: Jason-Rose

Absolutely amazing to see Rio Grande power still running.

Thanks for the photos.

Jason Rose
Spring, TX
Rio Grande Explorations

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0591 seconds