Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > More Georgia Goodies

Date: 09/22/14 17:26
More Georgia Goodies
Author: Vanakatherock

Evening, everyone. Last week was a great week, Heritage wise, in the state of Georgia. While I didn't get all that I wanted, I can't complain with what catches I did get.

1: On Monday, 9/15, I got trackside fairly early for a Monday. First catch of the day was a northbound empty Scherer coal train #726 with a patched SP unit shoving on the rear.

2: Our fourth catch of the day is the train of the day. NS 230 comes north into Flovilla, GA with the Savannah & Atlanta #1065 trailing 3rd out.

3: First closeup shot of #1065.

Date: 09/22/14 17:30
Re: More Georgia Goodies

4: NS 230 was coming to a stop in the siding in Flovilla due to issues further up the line providing me and another railfan plenty of photo opportunities.

5: After waiting another hour and the train moving further north to get the signal in view, we decided to relocate to Jenkinsburg, GA for another shot when he finally comes north. While waiting, NS 26A came south with a pair of UP units for power.

6: NS 230 finally continues north, seen here in Jenkinsburg, GA.

Date: 09/22/14 17:35

7: The following day, Tuesday, we ventured back out to Flovilla on word that NS 285 had the Virginian #1069 trailing. After 4 other trains had passed, we got our target train with #1069 indeed trailing 2nd out. Once again, this train was entering the siding in Flovilla after getting caught by the defect detector about 8 miles back with a hot wheel. Turns out, a few handbrakes weren't released before departing Atlanta.

8: Closeup of the #1069.

9: Last shot of the #1069 after they finally got the all clear to continue south. Camera flash enabled.

Date: 09/22/14 17:39

10: Finally, this past Saturday, I made a trip to Austell, GA for the first time in a few months to meet up with a few other railfans and have a good day. Total catches = 15 in an 8 hour period, including this very long NS 322 with 8 total units, most being FRA bad ordered.

11: NS 727 empty Scherer coal train comes north with an old paint UP "We Will Deliver" GE AC60 trailing....

12: And shoving on the rear is a patched CNW Operation Lifesaver unit.

Date: 09/22/14 17:44

13: NS intermodal transfer G92 is seen here pulling the rear section of NS 226 (UP ZLCAI) with a GP60 leading an SD40-2.

14: NS Herzog ballast train 935 comes south with a trio of CSX units and the leader having the old Conrail marker lights.

15: Final shot is actually from Wednesday, 9/17 from the ol' CSX Georgia Road. CSX intermodal train Q197-17 heads east through the small town of Rutledge, GA.

Thanks for viewing!

Date: 09/23/14 07:00
Author: RFandPFan

Great catches! Thanks for posting.

Date: 09/23/14 07:17
Author: ns1000

GOOD stuff...!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 09/23/14 07:19
Author: garr

Thanks for posting these nice images. As always, nice to see photos from the old Georgia Railroad.

I was visiting my dad in my old hometown on the east end of the Georgia Railroad this past Sunday. I actually got lucky enough to catch what appeared to be a mainline train doing some switching in the early afternoon. Train was sitting on main and locos along with a few cars were running around the train in the passing siding.

I now live less than 30 minutes from Austell, yet hardly ever make the time to drive down to see the action. With family consisting of two teenage daughters time is at a premium now however both will be in college in three years so there may be time to carve out for trackside then. The variety is definitely larger there.

Jay

Date: 09/23/14 13:01

garr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for posting these nice images. As always,
> nice to see photos from the old Georgia Railroad.
>
> I was visiting my dad in my old hometown on the
> east end of the Georgia Railroad this past Sunday.
> I actually got lucky enough to catch what appeared
> to be a mainline train doing some switching in the
> early afternoon. Train was sitting on main and
> locos along with a few cars were running around
> the train in the passing siding.
>
> I now live less than 30 minutes from Austell, yet
> hardly ever make the time to drive down to see the
> action. With family consisting of two teenage
> daughters time is at a premium now however both
> will be in college in three years so there may be
> time to carve out for trackside then. The variety
> is definitely larger there.
>
> Jay

It's possible that freight you seen on Sunday was Q460 (eastbound) or Q461 (westbound) as they both drop off/pick up cars along their route.

Thanks Jay!

Date: 09/23/14 16:21
Author: garr

Thanks Van,

It was eastbound, so Q460. It was early afternoon, around 2:00.

Jay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/14 09:06 by garr.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1002 seconds