Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Ah 1, and ah 2 on the main.

Date: 09/22/14 21:17
Ah 1, and ah 2 on the main.
Author: wa4umr

I noticed these a few days ago. I have probably seen these many time but I never noticed them. They are rather dirty and they blend in with the ballast quite well unless you are looking for them. They were on both sides of the road where I found them, on about the 2nd tie from the edge of the pavement. These are on the CSX short line, or "LCL Subdivision", at HK tower (MP 12.5) in Anchorage, Ky., on the east side of Louisville. I suspect they are to indicate main 1 and main 2 tracks because the numbers do correspond with those tracks.

I won't be entering these into any photo contest but I just thought they were slightly interesting. With the title of this string Lawrence Welk just might come out of his grave and shoot me.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/14 21:18 by wa4umr.

Date: 09/23/14 01:48
Re: Ah 1, and ah 2 on the main.
Author: shadetree

Main track designations. Becoming much more common. That way the MOW forces are on the correct track in multiple track territory.

Eng.Shadetree

Date: 09/23/14 04:32
Author: Out_Of_Service

Here in Philly the track number designations for 1 2 3 & 4 tracks on the Main Line to Harrisburg and the NEC are opposite of each other and have at times presented a small number of employees from all depts a bit of confusion to those working these lines who don't run these lines often ... moreso on the Harrisburg Line since 95% of them work the NEC

Posted from Android

Date: 09/23/14 05:17
Author: Narr8rdanny

I'm so disgusted with these pictures!!!
You were obviously trespassing when you shot them. Breaking the law and endangering yourself and who knows how many train crews.
Don't you know there could have been a train coming at any time??? A reprehensible disregard for the law.

Regards,
Danny Harmon
Tampa

(Yes.... I'm joking)

BTW, very nice pictures and an interesting thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/14 05:20 by Narr8rdanny.

Date: 09/23/14 11:39
Author: wa4umr

Narr8rdanny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm so disgusted with these pictures!!!
> You were obviously trespassing when you shot them.
> Breaking the law and endangering yourself and who
> knows how many train crews.
> Don't you know there could have been a train
> coming at any time??? A reprehensible disregard
> for the law.
>
> Regards,
> Danny Harmon
> Tampa
>
> (Yes.... I'm joking)
>
> BTW, very nice pictures and an interesting thread.

Thanks for your comment Danny. I try to take care not to trespass when I'm rail fanning but sometimes you don't know where the lines really are. I most likely did trespass to get these pictures. I put one foot on the ballast pile but I did not go between the rails. I was maybe 3 feet from the road. So, yes, I did trespass, and no, just because I probably know a bit more about railroads that the public in general know, it's not a license to violate their property rights. It's a serious problems for the railroads.

I was out south of Osborn Yard in Louisville about 2 years ago. I had pulled off the road in some gravel between the road and the rails. There were several bushes along the tracks and that spot had a nice clearing. I had no idea where the property line was but I was careful not to get too close to the ballast pile. While I was there a small SUV pulled up and it had two words on the door that caught my attention, "CSX" and "Police." "Aw poop poo" I thought. This ain't going to be good. It turned out that I was wrong. I introduced myself to the SA and told him I was out to take some picture, that I tried to stay off the property and ask him if he knew where the property line was. He saw that I wasn't getting dangerously close to the tracks and said that he had no idea of where the property line was either but he didn't care as long as I didn't get real close to the tracks. Beside, he was there to check the seals on the doors of a boxcar loaded with ammunition for the Army.

I'm sure everyone runs into this problem from time to time. You go to some place to take some pictures or just to watch for something unusual to pass. You look for a place to pull off the road. The only thing around are ditches on the side of the road or that one little gravel area that is in just the greatest spot possible, the area where the signal maintainer pulls up to work on the lights and gates. You know that it's the property of the railroad. Technically, you would be trespassing if you pulled up there. It's their property and you don't have permission to be there.

Below are two pictures I took the same day I took the other picture in my initial post. I took these intending to ask about trespassing. Maybe I should start a new thread and do just that. This is the area where HK tower used to be. The tower was torn down years ago. Nothing there now except the concrete floor/foundation where the tower used to be, a small, 10 x 10 building, and a gravel lot, probably a half acre or so. CSX runs to the north of the tower and R.J.Corman diverges to the south. I often pull up there when I have a few minutes to kill since it's only a few minutes from home. Here's the question. The property belongs to the railroads, probably CSX for most of it. I pull onto the property just enough to get out of traffic... maybe 5 feet off the road. So I will admit, I'm most likely trespassing but the question is, "Is this what most fan would consider trespassing?" More importantly, "Is this what the railroad would consider trespassing?"

I look forward to your comments.

John

First picture - R.J.Corman in the background.
Second picture - CSX in the background.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/14 11:45 by wa4umr.

Date: 09/23/14 12:25
Author: SD45X

UP uses a stencil and spray paint on the web of the rail.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0576 seconds