Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > "Mance Memory"

Date: 08/03/02 18:57
"Mance Memory"
Author: mancey

Retired railroad worker/retired farmer John Brant looks over an eastbound CSX freight at Mance (PA)curve in front of his house in the early 1990's. His pith helmet was his signature. His grandson Dave now crews over this famous CSX grade passing by the family farm on a regular basis. What are those lead units?

Date: 08/03/02 19:30
Re: "Mance Memory"
Author: alco636

EMD GP30s. Nice photo, thanks for sharing it.

Date: 08/03/02 19:37
Author: pizzaman

How long did CSX keep the B&O GP30's in their original number series? Very nice pic. I remember one day, I saw him on the other side of a train. He was coming down for the mail on his quad runner. When the train cleared, I handed him his mail, he said "Thank You" and thats the only contact I ever had with him.

Date: 08/04/02 04:48
Author: csx8400

Pizzaman

I think you are referring to Carl, I donot recall John owning a 4wheeler. Nice shot Roger that brings back alot of memories. the hill will never be like that again.

Denny

Date: 08/04/02 06:43
Author: el03440

pizzaman wrote:

> How long did CSX keep the B&O GP30's in their original number
> series? Very nice pic. I remember one day, I saw him on the
> other side of a train. He was coming down for the mail on his
> quad runner. When the train cleared, I handed him his mail, he
> said "Thank You" and thats the only contact I ever had with
> him.
>
> [%sig%]

Pizzaman,
The B&O GP-30's kept their original 6900 series until the CSX renumbering. The C&O GP-30's also kept their 3000 series till CSX.
John D.

Date: 08/04/02 12:40
Author: toledopatch

That shot is older than "1990s". I notice that none of the units in the consist has been renumbered into the CSX series, which makes this late-1980s at the latest. I believe most of CSX's renumbering was finished by 1988.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds