Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > The "new" BO Tower (now known as CP 143) in MI

Date: 09/25/14 12:59
The "new" BO Tower (now known as CP 143) in MI
Author: chico

BO Interlocker (not BO Tower itself) in Kalamazoo, MI, was retired on 9/8/14 in favor of Two Main Track/CTC operation. I've made a couple posts with construction pics over on the passenger board these last few weeks. This is Amtrak and MDOT's ex MC/NYC/PC/CR/NS passenger main between Detroit and Chicago. I'm not a rail or rule expert, but as I understand, now trains will operate on signal indication past new control points in that area. Signals will still be given by an NS employee in the tower and the track controlled by the NS Dearborn desk, for the time being. Apparently this parachute being a result of negotiations involving the parties involved.

So, here is the panel of toggles installed inside BO Tower

Second shot, looking west from the tower toward a three headed mast that was retired with the interlocker. Don't worry, that finial was cracked already, the signals dating from early 1950s. Not sure of their disposition.

Photos sent by a friend involved in the cutover.

Interestingly, according to another signal dept friend, with regard to the entire rebuild of the tracks and signaling Kalamazoo-Detroit, was that in his opinion, the interlocker at Kalamazoo was probably the most dependable plant in the entire distance, about 140 miles. According to my signal dept friend, most of the problem with signals (thus delays) was/is at the east end, but the state and Amtrak along with subcontractors are working west to east, starting this summer with the Kalamazoo-Battle Creek mileage, with operation of 110 mph trains. Alas planners work at a different altitude than the man on the ground, so we upgrade west to east.

Per my 1st source: "We implemented 261 between Comstock and BO -no more TA's (track authority permits, which up till cutover had been verbally relayed to trains by both DS and the tower op) for the Moose (Grand Elk RR) coming out of Botsford (now named Gearhart Yd) rule 251 between BO and (CP)147 yet, will disappear into 261 upon commissioning of ITCS."
Further, regarding what appeared to be continuously lit vaders, "(they are lit) unless they are in a power-off condition. All CP's are continuously lit except when commercial AC is out. See our new cants at Botsford and Comstock? Them LED's are blinding."
Me: when will ITCS be operational? Him, "Not sure yet. We are getting close, likely by the end of the year. Requires a ton of testing. We have the towers up. Waiting on Amtrak to complete track changes before we make the final mapping files for the servers."

The latest, from about a week ago.

Chico

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/14 19:17 by chico.

Date: 09/25/14 14:21
Fritoes
Author: NewRiverGeorge

All antiques except hopefully not the bag of chips.

Date: 09/25/14 16:13
Re: Fritoes
Author: Englewood

Thank you for posting the pictures

Date: 09/25/14 18:16
Re: The "new" BO Tower (now known as CP 143) in MI
Author: dr1283000

Chico, both pics are outstanding! Reminds me of the days when my best friend and I hung out in AC, Ridgeway and Sands towers in Ohio. Those were the days. Ken

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0462 seconds