Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > The Great Fostoria Heritage Race

Date: 09/29/14 17:37
The Great Fostoria Heritage Race
Author: Gumcoach

Tomorrow I begin a new job in Toledo so I decided to spend my last day of freedom in Fostoria. It was a great day but the highlight (and very nearly the lowlight) was the race past the rail park between 20R with NS 8025 leading and 234 with 8105 third in line. The distinctive red M leading 20R appeared down the track but we could also hear the horn of 234.

1) 234 begins its pass of 20R

2) 234 makes the curve past the rail park. Is this the only heritage I'll get today?

3) Roster of 8105

...more

Date: 09/29/14 17:44
Re: The Great Fostoria Heritage Race

4) A few empties on 234 give us a quick view of fast approaching 20R

5) 8025 peeks between a couple stacks on 234 as its nearly clear

6) 234 completes the pass and pulls away

Date: 09/29/14 17:46

7) Roster of 8025

Date: 09/29/14 18:06
Author: ktownspotter

good timing!

Date: 09/29/14 20:04
Author: zchcsse

Very cool! That looks like a moment MADE for video! I hope someone was there with a camcorder.

-Tom

Date: 09/29/14 21:16
Author: toledopatch

Your good luck was that the 20R had a 10-mph slow order somewhere in that area, which kept it going slow enough long enough that the 234 completely passed 20R's head-end roughly between Wood and Poplar streets.

Here's a precursor to your shots, made from next to the grain elevators on the southwest side of town. I had watched 20R pull up to a stop at Findlay Street and was anxious for him to get going once signals came up on both mains, because I knew 234 was on the move and would come through considerably faster than 20R would based on that slow order.

If only the 8105 had been leading 234. That would have been killer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/14 21:17 by toledopatch.

Date: 09/30/14 02:53

I was thinking the same thing about 8105 leading but with my luck just having 234 clear the 8025 basically right in front of me I figure I better not complain.

There was another railfan at the park who got video.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/30/14 03:54
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice composition in photo #7 to keep that fence below the Monongahela HU.
John

Date: 09/30/14 06:01
Author: jself1982

Im from South Carolina, is it really enough trains to keep me awake enjoying them? I love to railfan. is there a part of the day the traffic slows down, you know, so we can grab a bite to eat and what not. If you can Help us out, is there a walmart nearby for snacks for them kids? also how far is Fostoria from Cedarpoint Theme Park in Sandusky I think, for them kids, while i railfan? By the way we from South Carolina and if we can railfan + amusement park, thats like a 2 for 1 for us so reply back, let me know

Thanks Josh

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/30/14 06:10
Author: toledopatch

Lulls can be hard to predict but they do occur even in Fostoria.

There's a McDonald's on County Line Street (US-23) not too far from the action and a Circle-K convenience store within sight of the tracks at Columbus Avenue and Lytle Street. I do believe there's also a Walmart on the north side of town but I don't go there.

Cedar Point is about an hour away via State Rt. 12 and U.S. 6. Good train-watching spots closer to Cedar Point include Sandusky itself, Bellevue, Attica Jct., and Willard.

Date: 09/30/14 13:33
Author: ns1000

ktownspotter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> good timing!

AGREED...!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0411 seconds