Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX Hudson Valley.-Kings Ferry and Storm King overlooks

Date: 09/30/14 16:45
CSX Hudson Valley.-Kings Ferry and Storm King overlooks
Author: dwi189

Well, in my never ending search for elevated railroad overlooks in the Hudson Valley, I found two more....With gloomy weather today, I used the time to explore a couple of locations to see if they would be worthwhile to return to on nicer weather days in the future.

The first location is the Kings Ferry Overlook which gives an overview of the new River Sub CP-36 that was installed back in May of this year as part of the extension of the Haverstraw siding from its old Northern terminus of CP-35 to the new terminus of CP-38 including the reuse of the old coal drag siding for the now torn down Mirant Power plant.....The old CP-35 was torn out and moved slightly to the North and renamed CP-36....

The Kings Ferry Overlook is located on the grounds of the Stony Point Battlefield Park....A walking trail leads to the overlook

On a gloomy morning this morning, a Southbound CSX Q010 rolls through the new double track segment at Stony Point, NY and through CP-36....The track that it is on is numbered 1 and the track adjacent is 2....Double track extends South from CP-38 to CP-33 at Haverstraw.Dave Williams

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/14 17:35 by dwi189.

Date: 09/30/14 16:50
Re: CSX Hudson Valley.-Kings Ferry and Storm King overl

The Q010 continues South.....Dave W

Date: 09/30/14 16:53

A decaying old sailboat at Stony Point is losing the battle to the elements as it slowly crumbles apart....Dave W

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/14 20:36 by dwi189.

Date: 09/30/14 16:58

A Q112 is Southbound on Track 2 at CP-36 this morning.....My timing was slightly off on the third shot with the tree branch....Dave W

Date: 09/30/14 17:05

A Northbound Q438 smokes it up as it gets back on the move after pausing just shy of CP-36.....Dave W

Date: 09/30/14 17:11

And the Q438 is seen rolling past an industrial worksite....Dave W.

Date: 09/30/14 17:16
Author: Pattenburg

A nice series of images you have taken from that location.

Date: 09/30/14 17:17
Author: jmbreitigan

In addition to the old sailboat, it looks like the structure over the double track could collapse soon.
John

Date: 09/30/14 17:21

And finally.....Now, onto the Storm King overlook....This spot is easy to get to....as it involves nothing more than parking the car at a scenic pulloff along Storm King Highway Rte 218 and taking several steps away from the car to frame your shot.....I have driven this road several times but for whatever reason, never bothered to stop at the overlook.....The parking is tight, with room for only three cars or so...It was a gloomy afternoon so lighting was a challenge as a Northbound CSX Q438...the same one that I caught earlier at CP-36....rolls North toward Storm King Mountain after pausing for a couple of hours at Fort Montgomery....I will return to this location on a day with better lighting to see how things turn out.....Dave Williams

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/14 17:29 by dwi189.

Date: 09/30/14 17:24

Pattenburg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A nice series of images you have taken from that
> location.

Thanks....I shot from that Kings Ferry spot once....back in 2001....and forgot all about it until a few days ago when I was studying my Haverstraw pics and studied the Stony Point Battlefield Q162 and Q010 zoom shots....Dave W

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/14 05:41 by dwi189.

Date: 09/30/14 17:33

I might add that scanner reception with the Yaesu was decent at both locations....I was hearing chatter between Automatic 49 and Automatic 21 from the Kings Ferry overlook.

Parked up at The Storm King overlook, I was hearing from Highland, Auto-72 down to CP-43 at Fort Montgomery....No trains were South of CP-43at the time, so I could not determine my Southern limit to range from there today.....Dave Williams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/14 18:39 by dwi189.

Date: 10/01/14 07:17

jmbreitigan Wrote:
> In addition to the old sailboat, it looks like the
> structure over the double track could collapse
> soon.
> John

Appears to be part of a conveyor system to transport sand and gravel, etc to the shoreline for barges....I don't know if it is used presently or not....Dave W.

Date: 10/01/14 07:36
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing. Great photos. If you are saying the location is a track realignment, I'm not following you. Can you elaborate more on the reason for the change? Is this the NYC West Shore?

Date: 10/01/14 08:41

wabash2800 Wrote:
> Thanks for sharing. Great photos. If you are
> saying the location is a track realignment, I'm
> not following you. Can you elaborate more on the
> reason for the change? Is this the NYC West Shore?

Yes this is the NYC West Shore....The siding formerly ran for 2 miles from CP-33 in Haverstraw to CP-35 at Stony Point....If these pictures were shot a year or more ago, you would be looking at single track as the old CP35 was out of view to the left.

...There was also a mile long siding with hand thrown switches just to the North of what is now CP-36 that was used to drop off and pick up coal hoppers for a power plant that was torn down several years ago....CSX extended the overall siding North from CP-35 to the new CP-38...incorporating the old coal siding into the project...creating a 5 mile long super siding.

CP-36 is an interlocking at the midpoint of the supersiding which allows for crossover moves and more flexibility. CSX did this due to increased traffic levels....CSX is also doubletracking a several mile section toward the Northern end of the River Sub....Dave Williams

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/14 08:44 by dwi189.

Date: 10/01/14 10:36
Author: wabash2800

Thanks much Dave. Now I understand.

Date: 10/01/14 10:45
Author: LocoCam

The conveyor is OOS, but the structure is sound.

Date: 10/01/14 13:11
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for the pictures and narrative. The Storm King location looks very promising. It features in an old PennCentral book, which I have somewhere, but the track didn't look anywhere near as good back then.

Date: 10/01/14 13:27
Author: ns1000

Another good set Dave....!! I like the look of the last pic!!

Date: 10/01/14 20:25

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> Thanks for the pictures and narrative. The Storm
> King location looks very promising. It features
> in an old PennCentral book, which I have
> somewhere, but the track didn't look anywhere near
> as good back then.

Thanks....parking is tight at the Storm King spot plus the wind was really blowing while I was there...I did not bother shooting any video up there at Storm King because the wind noise would have been awful on video....Dave W

Posted from Android

Date: 10/01/14 20:43

ns1000 Wrote:
> Another good set Dave....!! I like the look of the
> last pic!!

Thanks...Dave W

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0898 seconds