Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A few from this past weekend back home in VA

Date: 10/01/14 08:41
A few from this past weekend back home in VA
Author: NSTopHat

This past weekend, I hauled the family back home to Richmond, VA for a party for my uncle's 80th birthday. Friday was a wonderful day to go shoot trains. Mom & dad live next to the C&O mainline in Mechanicsville, which is now run as the Buckingham Branch, so I can hear the first grade crossing south of the I-295 overpass, so I get about 8 minutes of notice to get trackside.

I heard a WB mty coal train, so Jake and I grabbed the camera and went trackside to see if there was anything 'sexy' in the train, and it was led by a pair of DF GEVO's with nearly 150 recently built FCA Bethgons in two. Sun angles in Mechanicsville were not great, so we headed northwest to Doswell, where the C&O crosses the RF&P.

In the hamlet of Doswell, the Buckingham Branch has yard facilities and a couple of rebuilt GP's and the town was decorated for fall and Halloween festivities. CSX was working on the east track diamond, so we had some time for the mty coal train to arrive.

Image #1 - A view of the Buckingham Branch from Doswell Road

Image #2 - BB #3 & a little REA Signage

Image #3 - WB MTY Coal Train led by CSXT ES44AC #866 & 853 past the RF&P's HN Tower. Dang clouds rolled in as CSXT #866 blew through Kings Dominion and left with the last car.

One more set to come....

Russ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/14 08:42 by NSTopHat.

Date: 10/01/14 09:11
Re: A few from this past weekend back home in VA
Author: oklachaser

Really nice photos. I like how you framed your 2nd photo.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 10/01/14 09:34
Author: NSTopHat

Later Friday afternoon, I took Jake back to Ashland and caught a SB manifest rolling past the Amtrak Station. It was the only train we saw that afternoon.

My uncle's party was Saturday night at the Iron Horse Restaurant in downtown Ashland, which is to say the least trackside. During the festivities we saw 7 or 8 trains during dinner, including 3 Amtrak trains.

Image #4 & 5 - A SB Manifest led by CSXT C60AC #656 and CSXT AC4400CW #367 pass the Amtrak Depot in Ashland, VA.

Image #6 - A SB Amtrak around 1830 hrs. pauses in Ashland outside of the Iron Horse.

Regards,
Russ

Date: 10/01/14 13:35
Author: ns1000

I like Pics 4 and 5!!!

Date: 10/02/14 03:54
Author: agrafton

Very interesting and good location photos, well done.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0332 seconds