Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NTSB To Release Final Report On Rosedale Crash

Date: 10/22/14 03:04
NTSB To Release Final Report On Rosedale Crash
Author: BaltoJoey

Later today the NTSB will release the final report
on the Rosedale, MD crash of a CSX train and a trash
truck.

Link to full article: http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-rosedale-settlements-20141021-story.html

BaltoJoey

Date: 10/22/14 07:43
Re: NTSB To Release Final Report On Rosedale Crash
Author: ClubCar

BaltoJoey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Later today the NTSB will release the final
> report
> on the Rosedale, MD crash of a CSX train and a
> trash
> truck.
>
> Link to full article:
> http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-rosedal
> e-settlements-20141021-story.html
>
>
> BaltoJoey

This is silly for them to waste so much time and money to research what happened as all of us realize that the truck driver ran right through that grade crossing without stopping or even pausing to see if a train was coming. The truck driver was the cause period. No doubt about it as it was shown clearly on the video that was on TV and on the internet. End of story.

John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 10/22/14 08:47
NTSB report on last year's Rosedale, MD crash
Author: mab

Not many surprises - main cause was distracted driving (and cellphone use), though poor visibility at the crossing also contributed.

Full reported linked in this press release: http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2014/141022.html

Date: 10/22/14 09:30
Re: NTSB report on last year's Rosedale, MD crash
Author: ns2557

It always amazed me that the restrictions placed on Commercial Drivers in regards to cell use be it hands free or not. I do my best to stop and use mine when I need to do so, other than that it can ring all day long and if it's important whoever is calling will leave a message. But I guess what bothers me the most is the Exemption on use while driving for Law Enforcement/Emergency Types and others deemed not to be accountable to these laws. Throw in the use of Laptop Computers and some of the ones who should be just as observant in their driving responsibilities become just as distracted potentially as the Commercial Driver can become. Seems to be a Double Standard to me. Not saying that Law Enforcement doesn't deserve certain liberties, but this affects more than just those in the Commercial Driving business. Ben

Date: 10/22/14 10:05
Author: Lackawanna484

ns2557 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It always amazed me that the restrictions placed
> on Commercial Drivers in regards to cell use be it
> hands free or not. I do my best to stop and use
> mine when I need to do so, other than that it can
> ring all day long and if it's important whoever is
> calling will leave a message. But I guess what
> bothers me the most is the Exemption on use while
> driving for Law Enforcement/Emergency Types and
> others deemed not to be accountable to these laws.
> Throw in the use of Laptop Computers and some of
> the ones who should be just as observant in their
> driving responsibilities become just as distracted
> potentially as the Commercial Driver can become.
> Seems to be a Double Standard to me. Not saying
> that Law Enforcement doesn't deserve certain
> liberties, but this affects more than just those
> in the Commercial Driving business. Ben

Some reports also suggest the exemption from seat belt laws is also a major issue in law enforcement injuries. The rationale is that some belt harnesses may interfere with weapons access, but many officers choose to wear their seat belts, anyway. A few departments actually mandate the use of seat belts.

Legislators never want to be on the wrong side of laws which seek to help law enforcement officers

Date: 10/22/14 11:33
Author: rrhistorian

While the cause of the incident was readily known (the truck driver failed to yield to the train) the resulting fire and explosion in the covered hopper was rather unusual. I will be reading the report to see the NTSB's analysis of the chain of factors that lead to that event.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.044 seconds