Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Prequel to the "Flying Switch" series

Date: 10/22/14 12:20
Prequel to the "Flying Switch" series
Author: JPB

I enjoy listening to the CPR Sunbury Sub Broadcastify radio feed from my New England home. As the Sunbury sub is mostly operated by Track Warrant authority, after 30 to 60 minutes of listening, one can learn where pretty much every train is on the line, how many axles they have, what their leaders are, where meets will occur, where set-offs and pick-ups will occur, where track maintenance activity is, etc. It's a very chatty RR channel.

On Sunday, listening to the Sunbury Sub on my iPhone came in very handy as I was travelling eastward toward Binghamton NY and ultimately to New England. CP train NS931 (Enola to Montreal/CN) train announced he all north and complete by the south end interlocking of New Milford PA CTC island siding, CPF-631. CP Dispatcher said CP 258 (Binghamton to Allentown) train was doing his brake test at Binghamton yard, some 15 miles north of New Milford, and would be departing soon. I moved with haste on 17 east to I-81 south. As I crested the hill behind the State Hospital on the east side of Binghamton, across the river I could see a very long line 258's double stacks ready to launch southward. Then I heard 459 (Enola to Binghamton) re-crew calling they were ready to move out at the limits of CTC territory north of Scranton. Dispatcher gave a warrant up to CPF-631 ensuring there would be a three way meet at New Milford.

Here are photos CP 258 meeting NS931 at the north end of the New Milford siding CPF-629. And there's D&H Heritage GP38-2 #7303 (I would see the other D&H unit at Afton a few hours later that day on CP 253).

Date: 10/22/14 12:26
Re: Prequel to the "Flying Switch" series
Author: JPB

CP 459 led by the usual gaggle of NS black engines meets CP 258 at the equilateral turnout at CPF-631. CP 258 then departs southward with the Taylor-bound domestic double stacks interchanged from NS at Binghamton head out while, near the tail of the lengthy train, the Montreal-origin international double stacks bound for Bethlehem lend colors to the muted fall palette.

An efficient hour of rail-fanning made possible by the CPR Sunbury Sub channel on Broadcastify!

Date: 10/22/14 12:35
Author: Cole42

I really like #2, the way you caught both trains and the signal.

Date: 10/22/14 13:24
Author: beertrain

Nice shots.

Date: 10/22/14 16:06
Author: CSXT_8437

Does the CP interchange the stacks for Bethlehem to NS ot doed CP have rights there?

Thank you in advance.

Date: 10/23/14 02:34
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0518 seconds