Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS on the CF&E Valparaiso, IN

Date: 10/30/14 18:42
NS on the CF&E Valparaiso, IN
Author: CR4110

Seen an NS stack strain westbound on the CF&E through Valparaiso, IN.. had a newer citi group lease unit trailing. Is this a regular move anymore? Not the first time I've seen this..

thanks
scott

Posted from Android

Date: 10/30/14 19:31
Re: NS on the CF&E Valparaiso, IN
Author: calumet

CR4110 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seen an NS stack strain westbound on the CF&E
> through Valparaiso, IN.. had a newer citi group
> lease unit trailing. Is this a regular move
> anymore? Not the first time I've seen this..

NS has in the past used CFE on an irregular basis from Ft. Wayne to Wayne Jct (Spriggsboro) just west of Valpo. What with the congestion on the Chicago Line, it's likely they'll be using it more often now. Altho CSX owns the CFE track and G&W leases it, NS dispatches it.

However, from Wayne Jct west to County Line Rd, NS uses it daily and has for many years. It runs side by side with NKP and in effect NS operates it as a double track RR for that segment. There are crossovers from NKP to CFE at Wayne Jct and from CFE to NKP at County Line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/14 20:16 by calumet.

Date: 10/30/14 20:40
Author: harrier09

What is the reasoning behind NS dispatching the line?

Date: 10/31/14 04:41
Author: MSchwiebert

West of Fort Wayne, that dates from when NS owned the line prior to the CR split. East of Fort Wayne during Conrail days it was handled by the Pittsburgh West dispatcher. My guess is with NS still operating the portion to Bucyrus it makes sense for them to keep it - especially considering the limited activity west of Bucyrus.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/31/14 07:03
Author: wabash2800

It is my understanding that NS got trackage rights when ownership went to CSX. Also, doesn't NS service the steel company at Columbia City west of Fort Wayne and regularly use the track at Fort Wayne when needed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/14 07:04 by wabash2800.

Date: 10/31/14 07:17
Author: calumet

wabash2800 Wrote:
> It is my understanding that NS got trackage rights
> when ownership went to CSX. Also, doesn't NS
> service the steel company at Columbia City west of
> Fort Wayne and regularly use the track at Fort
> Wayne when needed?

Yes to both questions.

Date: 10/31/14 12:23

So NS to Bucyrus, CSX Crestline to Ft Wayne or Valparaiso? Then back to NS Valparaiso west? With CF&E leasing chicago to Bucyrus? Corrections needed please

thanks
Scott

Posted from Android

Date: 10/31/14 14:01
Author: LiveWire

CSX owns the full length of the CF&E west from Crestline and leases it to Genesee & Wyoming. NS dispatches the whole thing.

Date: 10/31/14 14:03
Author: howeld

CR4110 Wrote:
> So NS to Bucyrus, CSX Crestline to Ft Wayne or
> Valparaiso? Then back to NS Valparaiso west? With
> CF&E leasing chicago to Bucyrus? Corrections
> needed please
>
> thanks
> Scott
>
> Posted from Android

CSX owns the ex Pennsy from Crestline west to Gary, IN where there is a connection to CSX Michigan line to get trains west into Chicago. The railroad is abandoned further west from there. NS uses the line frequently east of Bucyrus where there are NE and SE connections to their Sandusky line. There is very little use between Lima and Crestline other than in harvest season. All unit grain trains on the line are interchanged at Crestline so that is why there are grain trains over this segment in the fall. NS's NKP line is parallel west of Valpo for a few miles and there are switches that allow both railroads to be used as double track. NS dispatches the whole line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/14 14:06 by howeld.

Date: 10/31/14 15:16

Thanks, that would explain the NS tags on the crossings if they dispatch the line.. now does the wheeling still come to lima on their trackage Rights?

Posted from Android

Date: 10/31/14 15:49
Author: dr1283000

CR4110 Wrote:
> Thanks, that would explain the NS tags on the
> crossings if they dispatch the line.. now does the
> wheeling still come to lima on their trackage
> Rights?
>
> Posted from Android
Yes, but rarely. Ken

Date: 10/31/14 16:30
Author: railnuts

Last night i heard a NS 20T operating in the area. i don't know if that was its normal routing or a reroute off the Chicago Line.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0592 seconds