Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Anyone else preparing for winter?

Date: 10/31/14 09:34
Anyone else preparing for winter?
Author: twropr

From Progressive Railroading about BNSF:

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/bnsf_railway/news/BNSF-aims-to-better-prep-for-harsh-winter-weather--42454?

All of the railroads serving Chicago, with the possible exception of CN, were snowed in last winter. Hopefully BNSF
learned something from the experience. Anyone else taking action while the temps are still above freezing?

Andy

Date: 10/31/14 12:13
Re: Anyone else preparing for winter?
Author: Seventyfive

"Hope" is the key idea here. "Learning from the experience" is the challenge. I'm afraid the former will far exceed the latter. Likely that far more 'company leaders' and busy executives are hoping for a mild and low-snow winter; and as for the learning, we will soon see.

Thanks for the link to the interesting Progressive Railroading story.

Rich

Date: 10/31/14 20:50
Re: Anyone else preparing for winter?
Author: DrLoco

"Diminished velocities" will be the most common buzzword/excuse this winter if we get ANY kind of prolonged snow/cold like we did last year...I was lucky, when trains started getting stranded out in the middle of nowhere with roads closed, I bid on a yard job and stayed close to the home fires...sure it was a cut in pay, but it's better than waiting 19 hours or more for someone to relieve the train you are sitting on.

It's kind of a sad state of affairs that the railroad, which has toiled on in all kinds of horrible weather for over 150 years, "suddenly" doesn't have the manpower and brain power to get a train through a terminal without taking days and days. I use "Suddenly" in quotes, because they didn't hire anyone to replace retirements where I work for about 5 years...So, the companies made this mess by cutting the manpower too close...and now we all pay for it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0392 seconds