Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > "Do not couple" worked for me

Date: 11/22/14 16:00
"Do not couple" worked for me
Author: erie833

Despite the somewhat gloomy morning, I heard a westbound lite engine move coming so set up for a photo "just in case". I've seen just about anything on some of these power moves, but this one contained a treat, at least for me. It's very rare I get to see former Lehigh Valley power anymore, but CPR 7306- ex LV 319- was the trailing unit on this move. I don't know what's up with that "do not couple" on the plow, but having this engine with the nose uncoupled was nice regardless of the weather. Sporting it's still clean late 2013 CP paint job that covered up an older StL&H scheme, it looked good- but paint only hides history, it doesn't erase it. This locomotive was built the same year I got into train watching "full time", 1972. It's had at least 6 paint jobs and I'm sure a million plus miles on her and she's still going strong. I have no idea how many miles I've got on me train watching since 1972 lol. I saw these on the D&H after they acquired them in the patched out LV scheme, and later in the Avon Blue and yellow and Guilford gray. Anyway, I spent some time contemplating all the places this unit might have been since coming out of LaGrange. Up and down the D&H thousands of times, pooling to places like Bellevue, Ohio, and all over the Guilford and CPR Systems. And yes, last week over former PRR and NYC rails now owned by NS- in this case the old NYC in Cleveland, Ohio, or more precisely the shoo fly around a bridge construction on the former NYC . To some the passing of this unit might be just another pretty CP engine going by. To me it was a surprising and pleasant link to the past.

RAD

Date: 11/22/14 16:22
Re: "Do not couple" worked for me
Author: ns1000

NICE catch!!!

Date: 11/22/14 19:55
Author: RAILWATCH

Love the commentary.
And you're right, I myself would have not known all of that history, though, like other photos that I take, I google some of the locos just because of info you provided.
Never know what you May catch.

- Denny

Date: 11/22/14 21:27
Author: agrafton

Agree with Denny, nice narrative and photo.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0711 seconds