Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > BO Tower, Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Date: 11/22/14 19:29
BO Tower, Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Author: Ron

BO Tower, Kalamazoo, Michigan.

I'm short of information about this structure. I know that there's a lot of interest in it as of late. Because, in the not too distant future, it will be history.

They are currently upgrading the State of Michigan/Amtrak/NS Mainline between Kalamazoo, and points east. Wayne, I think.

But they have completed most everything from Kalamazoo to Battle Creek, and are concentrating the work east of Battle Creek.

CTC has been established between BO Tower and Control Point Comstock, about 3 miles east of BO Tower.

These three photographs here, and the others to follow, were taken Saturday, November 22, 2014 about 17:00. They are nothing special, it's just that I was in the area and thought I better get a few before it's too late.

I have a few more.....

Ron

Date: 11/22/14 19:31
Re: BO Tower, Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Three more of BO Tower.

Ron

Date: 11/22/14 19:35

This last one is from a short distance west of the BO Tower looking east at some of the new signals that have recently been installed.

The Amtrak Depot in Kalamazoo is just east of the first street crossing on the right.

Ron

Date: 11/22/14 19:44
Author: toledopatch

Is there still an operator at the tower? I recall the signal cutover occurred several months ago....

Date: 11/22/14 20:21

I think ....... yes there still is. But I'm not 100% certain.

In a couple of the photographs you can see a green car parked near it, so I'm thinking yes....for the time being at least there is.

I know they've cut over portions of the upgraded track and signals, but I've heard that nothing will change too much until the entire project is completed and given over to Amtrak.

It was a three year project and they're winding down for the winter of the 2nd full year of construction.

Ron

Date: 11/22/14 20:28
Author: Labby

Here's Joe Voracheck at the desk in February 1997. BO tower Kalamazoo.

Date: 11/22/14 20:44
Author: run8ed

A lot of history in that tower! Wish I had a recording of operator Voracheck giving a form D to a northbound at KAL--or even just a simple "keep 'em coming ELLA". If anyone wants to get me a Christmas present, this would suffice!

I never spoke with any of the operators at BO but my brother Ben did. Several years back, when he was still in high school, he put together the "Michigan Railroads" magazine. Ben was a regular visitor at the tower--I'm sure many of the operators back then knew him.

MP3 format would be nice! lol

Edwin O'Connor
Brashear, MO

Date: 11/22/14 21:24
Author: robbie

Fascinating pictures, and I need to get a trip up there before it's too late!

Just curious, anyone know what kind of mechanism was/is in the tower?

Thanks!
Robbie

Date: 11/23/14 05:08
Author: CSXT_8437

Which line crossed here? Was it a former B&O branch?

Date: 11/23/14 05:54
Author: toledopatch

CSXT_8437 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which line crossed here? Was it a former B&O
> branch?

Michigan Central (NYC) crossed GR&I (PRR) and another NYC line at "BO". The B&O had no tracks in Michigan that I'm aware of, although Michigan was among the states referenced in its famous "Linking 13 Great States with the Nation" slogan (trackage rights for Detroit passenger trains?). I don't know for sure what the call letters derived from, but there is a Botsford Yard nearby on the MC line which is the most likely explanation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/14 06:23 by toledopatch.

Date: 11/23/14 06:07
Author: jmbreitigan

Interesting photos and story.
Thanks, John

Date: 11/23/14 06:47
Author: espeefan

Is this the same line that used to cross the ex B & O at Avilla, In?

Date: 11/23/14 07:00
Author: cnr6776

Thanks for posting these Ron. I used to spend a fair amount of time at BO when Joe worked there, also at Vicksburg when that was manned. I believe Joe was the relief operator at BO.

Date: 11/23/14 07:13
Author: cnr6776

espeefan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this the same line that used to cross the ex B
> & O at Avilla, In?

Yes the PRR(GR&I) line is the same one as at Avilla. The ex-NYC line crossed at BO is the LS&MS line from Elkhart to Grand Rapids. It crossed the GR&I at Plainwell and came into G.R. via Allegan and Byron Center. It crossed the C&O(PM) at Lamar, at the west end of Wyoming yard.

Date: 11/23/14 15:22
Author: WatchingAlways

I've spent many hours at BO with Joe. Anyone know what his status is now?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0788 seconds