Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX Riverline in NY...away from the River......

Date: 11/23/14 17:11
CSX Riverline in NY...away from the River......
Author: dwi189

The CSX River Sub..ex New York Central West Shore is best known among railfans for the segment between Highland and Stony Point, with the focus around the Bear Mountain-Iona Island NY vicinity where it more or less hugs the Hudson River,hence its name.....North of Highland and South OF Haverstraw, the railroad veers away from the Hudson, taking a more 'inland route'.

CP-22 is located at Blauvelt, NY and is the location of the South end of an approximately 4 mile double track segment with the Northern end of the siding located at CP-26 Valley Cottage, NY.

Between these two locations, the River Sub passes through West Nyack, NY and nearby to the immense Palisades Center Mall.

CP-22 is 19 rail miles South of Iona Island and Bear Mountain,NY but the character of the surroundings changes dramatically from mountains, woods, wildlife and river at MP-41 to suburban sprawl at CP-22 as the River Sub rolls through the more densely populated portions of Rockland County, NY.

Things only become more urbanized as the River Sub reaches South into Northern, NJ.

A Southbound CSX Q433 rolls through CP-22 at Blauvelt, NY around Midday today.....Dave Williams

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/14 17:52 by dwi189.

Date: 11/23/14 17:16
Re: CSX Riverline in NY...away from the River......

A Southbound Q268 passes a parking lot used by a dealership to store new cars as the train approaches CP-22 at Blauvelt, NY....Dave W

Date: 11/23/14 17:19

A Northbound CSX X380...detoured off the Water Level Route due to the snow at Buffalo, rolls through CP-22 this afternoon....Dave W

Date: 11/23/14 17:21

The X380 is seen crossing over to the siding at CP-22 to meet a Southbound K040 at CP-26.....Dave W

Date: 11/23/14 17:24

The K040, with CP and NS power rolls South through CP-22.....Dave W

Date: 11/23/14 17:26

UP and CSX power highball a hotshot Q008 through CP-22 this evening as evening approaches....Dave W

Date: 11/23/14 17:31

CP power leads a CSX K408 South through Blauvelt this evening as high clouds stream in ahead of an approaching rainmaker.....Dave W

Date: 11/23/14 17:37

And some shots showing the layout looking North at CP-22 which is actually located at MP 22.7 or so of the River Sub......The Northbound signal guards the interlocking...The beginning of the 4 mile long siding can be seen......The track branching off to the right serves a local industry called Tri-Seal....The CSX C711/712 locals deliver and pick up covered hoppers to that location....The grade is fairly steep, dropping off the mainline in to Tri-seal....Dave W

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/14 18:14 by dwi189.

Date: 11/23/14 17:41

And finally.....This is the view looking South from the grade crossing with another industrial spur visible....I do not believe that it is currently in use.....Another industry a couple of miles to the South in Orangeburg, NY called Aluf Plastics is also served regularly by CSX with covered hoppers....It is 12 miles of singletrack main from here South until multitrack is regained at CP-10. Dave W

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/14 17:47 by dwi189.

Date: 11/23/14 17:57
Author: moltensulphur

Interesting look at the "other side" of the Riverline. And what would be the cargo in the black gons with white covers in pics 6 & 7?

Date: 11/23/14 18:12

moltensulphur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting look at the "other side" of the
> Riverline. And what would be the cargo in the
> black gons with white covers in pics 6 & 7?

I don't know what is in those gons....that train normally runs the Water Level Route so I don't know if those gons are a regular part of that train symbol....Dave W

Date: 11/24/14 04:10
Author: rev66vette

dwi189 Wrote:
> moltensulphur Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Interesting look at the "other side" of the
> > Riverline. And what would be the cargo in the
> > black gons with white covers in pics 6 & 7?
>
> I don't know what is in those gons....that train
> normally runs the Water Level Route so I don't
> know if those gons are a regular part of that
> train symbol....Dave W

Although I don't know where these particular cars originated, I've seen loads like that originating on the NYS&W in New Jersey from an environmental clean-up. They are sealed as such for environmental reasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/14 04:11 by rev66vette.

Date: 11/24/14 05:21
Author: RayH

Interesting to see how that area has changed over the years (I moved away in 1981). I don't even recognize anything in those shots now, and I shot many a train between CP22 and CP24.

Of course back then, it was CP13 in Dumont, not CP10 in Teaneck too.

Date: 11/24/14 05:43

RayH Wrote:
> Interesting to see how that area has changed over
> the years (I moved away in 1981). I don't even
> recognize anything in those shots now, and I shot
> many a train between CP22 and CP24.
>
> Of course back then, it was CP13 in Dumont, not
> CP10 in Teaneck too.

The area where I shot from is a relatively new industrial park....The road used to terminate at the grade crossing prior to the industrial park being constructed....The Industrial park is bustling with activity during weekdays but quiets down after 5pm once the employee parking lots empty out during the week and the location is quiet during the weekends.

It is apparent that the NYC ran the mainline through this section on a large fill.....The industrial track that leads down into Tri-Seal goes from mainline elevation all the way down to a similar elevation as the concrete parking lot seen on the opposite side of the tracks.....Another industrial park road runs alongside this industrial track to Tri-Seal so it is possible to park and watch the local run up and down this 'slide' to switch Tri-Seal....Dave W.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/14 06:48 by dwi189.

Date: 11/24/14 05:56

RayH Wrote:
> Interesting to see how that area has changed over
> the years (I moved away in 1981). I don't even
> recognize anything in those shots now, and I shot
> many a train between CP22 and CP24.
>
> Of course back then, it was CP13 in Dumont, not
> CP10 in Teaneck too.

Conrail extended the siding North from CP-24 to CP-26 at some point before the CSX takeover of the line....

I bet CSX wishes that CP-13 still existed....as they could use every bit of doubletrack that they can get in this section nowadays.....Southbounds are often held at Pine View Road at the nicknamed Chromolloy crossing roughly a mile North of CP-22 to wait for Northbounds to run up from CP-10.....Southbound trains used to hold at CP-22 itself but this caused a huge problem with trains blocking the Pine View grade crossing with irate residents and finally local police getting involved so the CP-22 Southbound hold point was moved to just North of the Chromalloy crossing to alleviate crossing issues.

When the NI Dispatcher is heard telling a Southbound 'Ok down to CP-22', the train then pulls out from the Pine View Rd hold point and makes a straight shot from there down to CP-10 and beyond....Dave W.

Date: 11/24/14 14:02
Author: Lackawanna484

Was Pine View where the empty crude oil train clobbered an errant truck driver back in 2012? That aroused the interest of the sheriff, etc.

Date: 11/24/14 15:28

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> Was Pine View where the empty crude oil train
> clobbered an errant truck driver back in 2012?
> That aroused the interest of the sheriff, etc.

Yes....that was the crossing involved in the collision between the empty oil train and the truck hauling a trailerload of automobiles...Dave W

Posted from Android

Date: 11/25/14 17:46
Author: md

That crash at the crossing was that a BNSF or warbonnet unit involved.

I too haven't been to CP22 in years, not since they finally built that Industrial Park, the steel pole in the picture at the crossing, was that an old fence of some sort? Also that spur on the south end of the crossing, I think that was once a Xerox facility. I think it hasn't been used since around mid to late 90's.

Date: 11/25/14 19:48

md Wrote:
> That crash at the crossing was that a BNSF or
> warbonnet unit involved.
>
> I too haven't been to CP22 in years, not since
> they finally built that Industrial Park, the steel
> pole in the picture at the crossing, was that an
> old fence of some sort? Also that spur on the
> south end of the crossing, I think that was once a
> Xerox facility. I think it hasn't been used since
> around mid to late 90's.

The crash damaged a BNSF pumpkin GE.....The switch was nicknamed the Xerox switch by crews and the name stuck around for some time after Xerox had departed...much as the Pine View Rd crossing is still called Chromalloy by crews and Dispatchers although Chromalloy is long gone....I'm not sure about the pole...I have seen pictures on line from when the industrial park was being built in 2009 and it appears like there was a fence there...I don't know if the fence was temporary or if it had been there prior to the construction...Dave W.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/14 19:57 by dwi189.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0936 seconds