Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > The Howling Loco at RT.53 Bridge & a long train!!

Date: 12/12/14 15:36
The Howling Loco at RT.53 Bridge & a long train!!
Author: bert14

While visiting Tom at the Station Inn, journeyed over to the brand new Rt.53 bridge to check out out the rail fan prospects.
Discovered they are very good, only to be "Howled" away by the longest NS train I have ever seen.
I could hear that loco miles away as it neared the bridge, and a signal maintainer made me laugh out loud while listening to the scanner before it got here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/14 15:40 by bert14.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/12/14 16:21
Re: The Howling Loco at RT.53 Bridge & a long train!!
Author: wa4umr

Nice location. For the uninformed, sitting at a grade crossing, seeing 10 locomotive they probably think, "That trains must be 10 miles long or more. We'll be here for hours."

John

Date: 12/12/14 16:33
Author: ns1000

Nice video!!! Thanks for sharing. I wish I was there........

Date: 12/12/14 20:49
Author: kpcmcpkva

RT 53 crosses the line a few times, which crossing is it??

Date: 12/13/14 04:20
Author: raytc1944

Good to know that the new route 53 bridge is still great for photos. Must have been a power move on the
head end. On CR we never were allowed to have more than 24 powered axels on head end for fear of
pulling train apart. It was a rule and I'm sure NS does the same.

Date: 12/13/14 05:14

Location is between Cresson & Galitzin, PA.
I could hear that turbo howl in Cresson before it got to the bridge, over a mile away.

Date: 12/13/14 09:11
Author: cabman

Love to see videos of mixed trains instead of the boring unit ones. Someday railfans will look at videos like this and start foaming just like if we were to watch trains of the 40's or 50's on film. Whatta spot to spend a summer day!

Date: 12/13/14 09:32
Author: Lackawanna484

That's a nice video, thanks for sharing it.

The large number of engines is certainly a surprise. But the cargo was a good sample of what's in a mixed freight these days. Plastics, gondolas of scrap, LPG, boxcars, etc. Pays the bills.

Date: 12/13/14 10:28
Author: EMD100469

Good to know that the new route 53 bridge is still great for photos. Must have been a power move on the
head end. On CR we never were allowed to have more than 24 powered axels on head end for fear of
pulling train apart. It was a rule and I'm sure NS does the same.

NS Rules allow for 27 powered axles online to accommodate 3 AC units which are rated at 9 powered axles each.
Solid bulk commodity trains are allowed 32 powered axles online.

Date: 12/13/14 15:36

EMD100469,

Thanks for the update on the max powered axels allowed. Now that I think of it CR, as well, considered
AC unit traction motors as something like one and one half a dc motor if I remember correctly.

Date: 12/13/14 15:53
Author: DaveL

West coaster here, is that train going up hill or down ?

DaveL

Date: 12/13/14 19:20

The train was headed up hill to the summit at Gallitzin. But, no way were all the units needed to on line.

Date: 12/14/14 05:16
Author: easternrailvideos

That bridge is very nice and was finished on time i think. Parking stinks though since they put trees and rocks along the dirt road to the NS Gate. Great video even from a car.

Date: 12/14/14 16:56

You can park a car on the side street about 50 yards away...then walk about 80 yards to the new bridge.....
let us hope that no fence is erected this Spring, yet, who wants to be on the bridge when a coal dump truck goes by at 50mph....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0548 seconds