Home Open Account Help 401 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Cold and Gray, Work a Day Local

Date: 12/18/14 19:07
Cold and Gray, Work a Day Local
Author: scraphauler

I don't pretend to be a photographer. And I certainly am not on a mission for the perfect roster shots, or worried about perfect lighting, etc. I just point and shoot when I see something of interest. Such was the case yesterday, an overcast, cold, blustery day with scattered snow showers, when I happened to catch the CIND local spotting empties at Lowes Pellets & Grain in Greensburg IN. To my untrained eye, this is just a cool picture.

Central Railroad of Indiana (CIND) is more well known as the line that serves the Honda Civic plant in Greensburg, ferrying trainloads of new Civics to NS and CSXT at Cincinnati six to seven days a week. But CIND still has is share of traditional shortline traffic. Here we see OHCR 4028 (and CFE 3889 not visible behind the 4028) spotting empties at the end of a 2+ mile branch in Greensburg consisting of the remnants of two separate lines that once converged on Greensburg. The track in the foreground to the jog right is the former NYC Michigan Division line that once ran from Elkhart IN down to Louisville KY. At the jog, the line to Louisville continued straight then curved off to the left for Westport, North Vernon, and Louisville. The jog right is the diverging route for the switch that used to be there that was the connection to the CH&G Branch - the Columbus, Hope, and Greensburg, a light density NYC branch that connected Columbus IN to the Chicago East mainline at Greensburg.

Date: 12/18/14 19:16
Re: Cold and Gray, Work a Day Local
Author: onthebell

Nice mood captured, and good background on an area seldom covered by photographers.

Date: 12/18/14 19:29
Author: Gonut1

Very nice! Looks like a derailment destined to happen!
Go

Date: 12/18/14 20:13
Author: EMDSW-1

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice! Looks like a derailment destined to
> happen!
> Go

Sure this isn't on the Maumee & Western...lol!

Dick Samuels

Date: 12/18/14 21:44
Author: rcall31060

Not bad, Scrap! Not bad at all!

Bob Callahan
Monticello, IN

Date: 12/19/14 03:30
Author: ClubCar

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice! Looks like a derailment destined to
> happen!
> Go
Nice photo; although that track does look bad. They need to work on it, tamp the ballast at least and level the rail.

Date: 12/19/14 03:32
Author: DubyaM

Yessir, that is a cool picture!

Date: 12/19/14 03:40
Author: dschlegel

That is a neat photo, nice job!!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/19/14 03:49
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Not perfect track but not destined to wreck everything that runs across it either. As long as it is in gauge and cross level is mostly good, not a problem for what they are doing at all.
I think the photo is fine and I'm not a professional either. We need these photos just like the ones of the 136 lb CWR and 70 mph freights in other places.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/14 03:52 by dcfbalcoS1.

Date: 12/19/14 04:34
Author: hwb36604

well done

Date: 12/19/14 05:02
Author: oldSALrailfan

Looks like my first layout track work 30 yrs ago...I was just trying to be proto-typical...
Excellent pic by the way!
Matt
Chattanooga, Tn.

Date: 12/19/14 05:30
Author: ut-1

Nice picture, glad you posted it!

Date: 12/19/14 09:25
Author: scraphauler

Thanks all.

Track is not as bad as it looks really. They routinely run 6 axles and 286K cars in and out of the elevator. Here's a grab shot of the power just outside the elevator where the branch crosses Indiana 3 & 46 at grade.

Date: 12/19/14 09:38
Author: RS11

I like it. Short lines, regionals, and industrial railroads and their operations are much more interesting than the big guys...my opinion of course. It's almost like a look back to the past while at the same time a look forward to the future. Thank you for posting.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3398 seconds