Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Old 1949-50 AAR photos

Date: 12/19/14 07:16
Old 1949-50 AAR photos
Author: wyemarsh

A TO friend suggested that I post the following old prints on this Eastern Board for identification (in case you don't visit the 'Nostalgia & History' Board where it was originally posted).

Back in 1951-2, I received a large number of railroad prints and information booklets from the American Association of Railroads which I certainly enjoyed as a young kid......hey, I still have them!

The location of the photo 'Passenger Terminal Facilities', hasn't been positively identified by viewers......but, some have suggested a location in the South or Southeast.

The insert photos on the 'Terminal...' print have been tentatively identified as a 'Southern FT 4112' (by ctillnc), and the tail end of the observation car as a 'Great Northern possibly a Coulee series' (by Wabash).

The second photo 'The Train Dispatcher', has been positively identified.....I was able to read (with my magnifier) the names on the CTC board = 'Barnesville / Collier / Forsythe / Smarr / Bollingbrake / Lorane / Payne' and a TO viewer (ctillnc)indicated that was on the Central of Georgia line between Atlanta and Macon.

Any ideas on the location of the terminal?

..........Vince in Valley Center

Date: 12/19/14 07:27
Re: Old 1949-50 AAR photos
Author: nandw1218

The top left inset is taken looking eastward at the Southern Railway Diesel Shop at the yard in Alexandria, VA.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/19/14 08:06
Author: boejoe

"Passenger Terminal Facilities" photo was taken at Florence SC on the Atlantic Coast Line. North and Southbound Auto Trains still stop at this 'facility" for servicing, crew change but no passenger boarding or detraining. Other Amtrak trains stop here at this passenger station location.
Oops, just went back a couple days after reference to your previous post on Nostalgia Board and see that Uncle Joe in Seffner FL also identified photo as Florence! I believe the photographer was perched on a multi-track signal bridge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/14 08:16 by boejoe.

Date: 12/19/14 08:32
Author: ctillnc

Concur, that has to be Florence. Those raised concrete platforms with the drainage system between the tracks are unique. Trains to Florida went left at the horizon; trains to Atlanta via Orangeburg and Augusta continued straight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/14 08:34 by ctillnc.

Date: 12/19/14 12:10
Author: chs7-321

Looking at Florence on Google satellite.....holy crap, it has been rationalized!

Date: 12/19/14 18:34
Author: ctillnc

Florence was a crossroads of the ACL.. an interchange point for passenger trains to New York, Florida, Atlanta/Augusta, Wilmington, Columbia, and Wadesboro (WSSB connection until 1933). Six directions, in other words, radiating out from Florence. All the through-cars required a disproportionately large station for a town of that size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/14 18:35 by ctillnc.

Date: 12/19/14 19:59
Author: NYC6001

Before airline travel and decent roads, such facilities were commonplace. I suppose in the 1970's one could still see many remnants. How I wish I had known what to go looking for when I had my first car in 1983. At least we have aerial photos that often show the footprints of what is now gone.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds