Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Wheeling and Lake Erie...under the former Erie.

Date: 12/20/14 15:08
Wheeling and Lake Erie...under the former Erie.
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

Greetings all...hope your Saturday has been good to ya. With the intense cold of last year still fresh in the memory the Wheeling and Lake Erie has been taking advantage of the warmth to still be running their stone trains. They enter the CSX Newcastle Subdivision at BG 128.6 to take their stone trains to BG 132 I believe where they then take a switch to enter the track that goes to the stone company. The switch is at Bridge 16; named after the PRR and the reason escapes me at the moment. Apologize for the senior moment...will edit once I remember. Needless to say pictures one thru three are of the W&LE Z642 under what was "JO" tower; former Erie. I believe W&LE just got this lead engine this past summer...

Date: 12/20/14 15:13
Re: Wheeling and Lake Erie...under the former Erie.

Number four is of the Z642 bringing the empties back as the SD40-2 trio are now pushing; number five is of the K593 with UP power and lastly we have Q359 with former Conrail C40-8W leading under the former Erie bridge. I enjoy taking photos in this type of weather as I believe it forces you to other modes on your DSLR. Got to be at work at 0500 so I will be retiring early this evening. Hope you enjoy the pictures of the Wheeling and Lake Erie under the former Erie "JO..."

Date: 12/20/14 15:32
Author: erie833

Good photos for an overcast day Carl. Nice catch on that ex BNSF on the WE.
"Bridge 16" was at the former PRR milepost 16. This line was once numbered from Hudson south, a holdover from CA&C days. B&O trains that used this line prior to Conrail pulling out were considered north/south runs and used those PRR mp numbers from AY (Akron) to Warwick (Clinton).
For any that may have missed what this bridge once looked like, see :

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,3603750,3603750#msg-3603750

RAD

Date: 12/20/14 15:49

Thanks RAD; this weather really makes you utilize all the assets a camera can give.

Date: 12/20/14 20:04
Author: agrafton

Nice catch and info from RAD.
Alan

Date: 12/21/14 05:22
Author: hwb36604

that SD40-2 might have once belonged to the BNSF but I'm not sure

Date: 12/21/14 07:13
Author: NSDash9

WE 6967 is former MJRX 6967/BNSF 6967/BNSF 7307/CN SD40 5031.

Chris Toth
NSDash9.com

Date: 12/21/14 13:45
Author: ns1000

I like Pics 4 and 5!!

Date: 12/21/14 14:30
Author: FL9

FWIW, the signal bridge looks like a PRR design. I'm guessing that the Pennsy must have provided the signal bridge when the interlocking was last equipped with signals, and the used one bridge to span both the Erie and PRR/B&O mains.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.047 seconds