Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS 416 unloads at the First Energy Sammis Plant

Date: 12/20/14 16:32
NS 416 unloads at the First Energy Sammis Plant
Author: FEC2000

Caught NS 416 dumping coal this morning at the Sammis Plant in Stratton, OH along the Ohio River.

Some info on the Sammis Plant, they get coal by rail and river barge.

At 2,233 megawatts of capacity, the W. H. Sammis Plant, is FirstEnergy’s largest power generation facility in Ohio. Situated along the Ohio River in Stratton, it is the site of one of the largest air quality control retrofits in U.S. history. The five-year, $1.8 billion environmental project included the installation of scrubbers and selective catalytic reduction equipment designed to reduce emissions of sulfur-dioxide by 95 percent, nitrogen oxides by up to 90 percent, and mercury by about 75 percent. The retrofit was named Construction Project of the Year by Platts Global Energy Awards in 2010 and received an honorable mention from Power Engineering magazine.

Date: 12/20/14 16:41
Re: NS 416 unloads at the First Energy Sammis Plant
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

Nice shots there Jeff; do not let Obama or the EPA learn of the tremendous undertaking by the Sammis Plant. Nice to see a plant retrofitting and surviving; looks like the Sammis plant will continue to burn coal for a while. Do they use eastern coal at all or just PRB coal?

Date: 12/20/14 17:06
Author: WJEX

That must have been a super telephoto lens that
you were using. The ties in each picture look as though
they are touching one another.

Date: 12/20/14 17:39
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice Jeff, thanks for the info on the Sammis plant.
John

Date: 12/20/14 19:56
Author: DJ-12

Did anyone from the plant security force pay you a visit while you were there? They are pretty notorious...

Date: 12/20/14 20:03
Author: agrafton

Nice catch Jeff, what do you think should I Drone them? lol

Date: 12/21/14 07:35
Author: FEC2000

PittsburghMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did anyone from the plant security force pay you a
> visit while you were there? They are pretty
> notorious...

Nope, I have stopped here many times for photos off the bridge, no one has ever bothered me. I've heard the horror stories...

Date: 12/21/14 09:47
Author: dbrcnw

FEC2000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PittsburghMike Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Did anyone from the plant security force pay you
> a
> > visit while you were there? They are pretty
> > notorious...
>
> Nope, I have stopped here many times for photos
> off the bridge, no one has ever bothered me. I've
> heard the horror stories...

Your multiple stops without harassment is good news. Let's hope the rent-a-guard crew has new personnel or somehow become more aware that public roads and public property is just that, public.

Right across the street (Ohio 7) is the New Cumberland navigation locks and dam and they, like most other Corps of Engineers dams, are fenced off to the public. My point is, at the plant you're in an area were post 911 security concepts are prevalent. Use good judgement.

Like Mike, I too have been harassed by the plant people while I was clearly on public property. I would like to catch a photo of the plant engine in its attractive blue and silver livery but it is usually well into the plant property and with poor sight lines even for a telephoto shot.

DaleR

Date: 12/21/14 13:47
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0624 seconds