Home Open Account Help 384 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Chambersburg and Greencastle PA tips needed

Date: 12/21/14 13:39
Chambersburg and Greencastle PA tips needed
Author: dschlegel

I'm headed to visit an old friend tomorrow in Greencastle. I've found the intermodal yard south of town on the NS and would like to know how much can be seen.
Also, it looks like the CSX Chambersburg yard is too far away either, how much can be seen there safely?
As always I appreciate any and all tips for the area.
Thanks in advance!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/21/14 14:17
Re: Chambersburg and Greencastle PA tips needed
Author: ns1000

From Rte. 11 South, turn right onto Hykes Road. This is located south of Greencastle, but north of State Line, PA. This road will take you over the NS Lurgan Line (CP 65 and 67). You will see the facility off to your right. Follow the road......until the stop sign. Turn right (Williamsport Pike) and go down to Milnor Road. Turn right and follow it....it takes you trackside to the NS tracks.

As far as CSX, follow Rte. 11 North to Chambersburg......turn right on Kriner Road (located just south of town and Orchard Drive). Then, just follow the road. It will take you over CSX. At the light (Rte. 316 or Wayne Road), turn right. Then turn right on Country Road....follow it out. This takes you trackside.

I hope this helps. I'm off tomorrow. You may PM me if you wish more details.

I will add that you can see both yards clearly...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/14 14:24 by ns1000.

Date: 12/22/14 03:03

Thank you!!!

If you happen to see a silver Fusion with PA Dutch looking railfans in the area later this morning wave at us.

Thanks again!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/22/14 11:21
Author: jim6300loco

Next time invite your Pop along.
Pop

Date: 12/22/14 13:04
Author: ns1000

I hope you had a good time. Did you catch the S&A.......???!!!!

Date: 12/22/14 14:28

ns1000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope you had a good time. Did you catch the
> S&A.......???!!!!

Thanks for the excellent directions!! It turns out we missed the S&A by half an hour I think, mostly because we took a side trip along Enola yard looking for it and it he CNJ without seeing either. When we got to my buddy's place which is about 300 yards off the Lurgan just north of Greencastle, we saw the HU post saying it had been through already.

In the end we didn't have a lot of time to chase trains, but did make it out to Mainline hobbies and caught the KCS power on 203 while we were headed from Greencastle to the CSX yard.

Thanks again for your directions!!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.052 seconds