Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Sylvania GA?

Date: 12/21/14 15:33
Sylvania GA?
Author: dstill

Will heading south from NC tomorrow and know Sylvania has a railroad. Trying to see what railroad it is and if anyone knows the schedule it runs?

Date: 12/21/14 15:57
Re: Sylvania GA?
Author: Vanakatherock

Sylvania has the Ogeechee Railroad. I'm not certain how busy it is as I've never been out there. Someone else may be able to provide you with traffic info. It interchanges with Norfolk Southern in Ardmore.

Date: 12/21/14 16:23
Re: Sylvania GA?
Author: garr

A little history--The original railroad serving Sylvania, GA was the Southern Railway's former Savannah & Atlanta which came into Southern's control thru the Central of Georgia Railway acquisition. Not long after CofG acquired the S&A, the section of the S&A main between Sylvania and Waynesboro was abandoned since the CofG already had a parallel line roughly 20 miles to the west via Millen, GA. The CofG line is part of the Savannah to Augusta main while the S&A line was actually their Savannah to Camak, GA mainline(last 2 miles via trackage rights on the Georgia Railroad Macon Branch) which was the S&A connection to Atlanta via the Georgia Railroad interchange.

I believe the Ogeechee Railway is the shortline now serving Sylvania. This line runs to the southeast from Sylvania to Ardmore where it connects with NS. The Ardmore to Savannah section of NS is the only part of the S&A remaining that would be considered mainline railroading. The northern end of the S&A between Waynesboro and (100 yards south of) S&A junction is still NS owned and operated however the S&A junction with CSX(former Georgia Railroad) was removed approximately 15 years ago so the trains no longer go to Camak.

Even in the heyday, this was a "Mixed Train Daily" part of the state.

Hopefully someone with more recent knowledge about this part of the state will chime in.

As far as today, I do not know how much activity is going on in Sylvania. I imagine one out and back train would be the best to expect. Company info shows the Ogeechee Railway is based out of Sylvania so a call to the office may be worthwhile.

The closest "mainline" activity would be in Millen on the NS Savannah to Augusta line. Millen is also where the NS(former CofG) line thru most of Georgia's kaolin country branches off. This line goes thru Wadley, Tennile and eventually to Macon.

I am not sure how many trains daily are on the Savannah to Augusta line.

If you are looking for true, active mainline action, Savannah will more than likely be your best bet.

Jay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/14 16:24 by garr.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0352 seconds