Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Unknown entity scrapping Monon bridge

Date: 01/30/15 11:45
Unknown entity scrapping Monon bridge
Author: inCHI

Well this is certainly a bold move.

"Someone is dismantling the Monon Bridge over the Grand Calumet River in Hammond, sending railroad ties and hunks of steel into the waterway and officials are working to determine the culprit."

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/bridge-demo-over-grand-cal-river-in-hammond-under-investigation/article_817b717c-c6da-5462-8296-8427f5aba09b.html

Date: 01/30/15 14:52
Re: Unknown entity scrapping Monon bridge
Author: colehour

Wow! That's pretty brazen. There is another long-abandoned bridge along Sohl, possibly former IHB. It's quite a surprise to see it, given that there have not been tracks across it for many, many years.

I know the director of the Hammond Port Authority and will ask him for more information when I see him.

Date: 01/30/15 16:15
Author: toledopatch

I've heard of people humorously offering to sell bridges, but this could well be the first case of a bridge being stolen....

Date: 01/30/15 16:34
Author: CZ10

I foresee some interesting court action on who is going to pay for the
environmental cleanup!

Date: 01/30/15 17:42
Author: SCL1517

They make it sound like those ties are going to poison the waterway. Is having them submerged all that different from having them above the water and getting rained on? Water isn't a creosote solvent--by design.

Date: 01/30/15 18:57
Author: wmfan3798

I can't figure out how to post a link from my phone but this also happen in SWPA in 2011. Two idiots stole a 40X25 steel road bridge on private property. Google bridge stolen Pittsburgh.

ernie

Posted from Android

Date: 01/31/15 00:49
Author: Heath_Tower

CZ10 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I foresee some interesting court action on who is
> going to pay for the
> environmental cleanup!

I'm sure the lead based paint on the 70 year old steel isn't doing the creek any good, either.

Solved the mystery (possibly). If the authorities look at the aluminum ladders, which were left
behind, a serial number will show who purchased them, leading to the owners (perps).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0317 seconds