Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Norfolk Southern At Christiansburg

Date: 01/31/15 01:01
Norfolk Southern At Christiansburg
Author: CO3124

Took a this a little over a year or so ago on a three day trip down to Roanoke and Christiansburg, Virginia. Before that happened, I was determined to make it a priority to get down there and shoot at least one of the signals or to get something coming up Charleston/Christiansburg Grade. On the second day down there, I was rewarded with eastbound time freight 18M making the climb with two EMDs on the point.

Enjoy the video!!
Dennis

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/31/15 01:41
Re: Norfolk Southern At Christiansburg

A little bit later on that day, we spotted both 15T with the Vets unit and I believe 811 heading west at Walton, Virginia. The 15T was just a few minutes ahead of the empty coal train as it was diverging onto the Pulaski District just about a half mile behind us. After getting what we could between there and Christiansburg. After a stop in Roanoke for a few short minutes. We were off to Montgomery and the tunnels in hopes of getting a few passing through. The photos and videos are listed as follows.

Videos.
1.) The 15T passing by Walton with the Veterans Unit trailing.
2.) Led by a standard cab Dash 9, empty train 811 also makes its way west.
3.) Rolling west for the Pulaski District at Radford, VA. Train 201 pops out of the tunnel at Montgomery

Excuse the laughter and the language........ enjoy the videos!!!
Dennis

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/31/15 15:48
Author: ns1000

Nice videos!!

Date: 01/31/15 22:34

Thanks!

There are some photos that went with everything from that day that started around eight o'clock in the morning. Started off the day on Sunday sitting on Christiansburg Grade between Pelton and Christiansburg. For this trip being my very first time down on this very line and the Virginia Division itself. Traffic on this line is very good and it can be a very hectic place with trains from Bluefield or Bristol coming east and traffic coming out of Roanoke going towards both Bluefield, Bristol, and points west.

First photo shows ethanol train 64A climbing the grade as it rolls east towards Roanoke with an ex-Conrail wide cab leading the way. After watching 64A slowly grind its way up the hill and on to Roanoke. It was time for 18M to show up and tackle the grade out of the New River Valley as it made its way to Roanoke. Once 18M had got into Roanoke and receiving word that the Vets Unit was on the move south and getting out of Roanoke. We decided to move down to Walton to see if we could catch 15T coming west and we did not set there very long. Last photo is of 15T passing through Walton as it diverges onto the Pulaski District.

Date: 02/02/15 13:03
Author: rbx551985

QU about the video of the 15T train passing Walton.... I notice a string of RAILBOX cars sitting on a track in the distance, around the curve. Are those STORED boxcars?

Date: 02/02/15 14:59

They were indeed stored and had been stored there for quite a while. When I went back down there a few months ago, all of them had been removed by then.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0573 seconds