Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > TORNADO IN DESHLER -- HAZMAT DERAILMENT

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/10/02 13:49
TORNADO IN DESHLER -- HAZMAT DERAILMENT
Author: [null]

SKYWARN Net reporting derailment @ Route 65 near Deshler, a tanker of sodium hydroxide involved, Henry County EMA reporting -- tornadoes have ripped through the area and are currently southwest of Toledo.

Date: 11/10/02 13:57
Re: TORNADO IN DESHLER -- HAZMAT DERAILMENT
Author: CJ

Several reported tornadoes in the area over the past few hours. We fortunately missed the blunt of the storm, but we didn't go without some torrential rain and wind. Lots of localized flooding in the area as well.

Chris
KC8UYJ

Date: 11/10/02 14:15

Tornado sirens here in ottawa co. bye everyone taking shelter

Date: 11/10/02 14:40
Author: cnj1524

Hope all is well out there, For those interested here is some info on Sodium Hydroxide

http://www.hummelcroton.com/naoh.html

J

Date: 11/10/02 14:50
Author: halfmoonharold

Van Wert,Ohio, was apparently also hit, TV says they are under a state of emergency. They missed us here in Ft Wayne, thank God. All we had was rain and lightning.

Date: 11/10/02 14:56
Author: toledopatch

Tornado struck train near Hamler, OH (west of Deshler), causing derailment.

Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) is also known as lye, caustic soda. It's the active ingredient in Drano.

Date: 11/10/02 15:05
Fostoria also hit
Author: soo6617

Fostoria was also hit by tornados, Train Q165 had a autorack flipped over and no trains are being allowed though town.

Date: 11/10/02 15:18
Re: Bellevue hit too
Author: Ster_1

Bellevue was hit too My friend who is conductor up there told me that they are evacuating parts of bellevue because of a hazmat car being tiped over in the yard.

Ster_1 Andrew

Date: 11/10/02 15:31
Author: Ster2Block

Willard is getting it now AT just said...they are moving along the NC Sub rapidly in NE Ohio.

Tony

Date: 11/10/02 15:40
Author: farmer

Q-165 hit at Hamler 30 plus cars blown off of track.

Date: 11/10/02 16:23
trains involved
Author: DRLOCO

In East Hamler, CSX’s Q165-10 operating on #1 track had 2 platforms toppled over by the winds. Train Q202-02 operating on #2 track at Fostoria, had 1 multi-level derail

DRLOCO...letting the cold wind blow

Date: 11/10/02 16:29
Re: trains involved
Author: Throttle_JCKY

Hartford City, Indiana was hit (NS New Castle District and PRR/CR/NS Redkey Branch) 1 house, 10 mobil homes destoyed, Marsh supermarket damaged, motel also damaged, power still out in most areas. Wasnt' a pleasant afternoon. No warning was giving for the tornado, no siren, nothing. Just a Thunderstorm watch. That makes 2 tornadoes in Hartford City within the past 2 months (last one being Sept 20th)

Date: 11/10/02 17:10
Re: trains involved

online via generator/UPS and dialup to a non-local number

News report live from Hamler-- empty double-stacks blown over, no hazmat.

here in port clinton, the hospital has been hit and has windows blown out, it hit the east side of town.

Date: 11/10/02 17:45
Author: ge13031

@ 20:49 http://www.fostorialive.com is not working

Date: 11/10/02 18:44
Author: ge13031

21:40 fostoria live is up and running

Date: 11/10/02 20:00
Author: deshlercsx

Haz mat was not involved in derail, it was just ahead of the overturned cars. I was at the scene with EMA and Henry co. Red Cross to lend any assistance. Being a HAM has its advantages. This was one nasty storm, but we here in Henry co. were very lucky. Van Wert Oh. had an F4 tornado touchdown. NW Ohio had at least 10 confirmed tornados and at least 2 unconfirmed. I followed this same storm that hit this train but saw no funnel, but the clouds came all the way to the ground so there is no way of knowing what is in those. I am a trained storm spotter and I tracked this thing for about 15 miles. Clean up of the derail is in progress. I can see the high intensity lights from my house.

DRF is envious, he did not get to walk up to the scene

Date: 11/10/02 21:19
Wild Day for a First Time Visitor!
Author: K8DTI

Well, my significant others first big railfanning trip was a wild one. She got to experience DERF & CWC at Deshler, learn what CPL's, Furbies, and Rent-A-Wrecks are, see the UP Olympic 2002 roll by, endure a tornado warning with accompanying storms, see a train derailed, and to top it off, watch a guy wipe out at 70mph on I-75 and roll his car into a flooded median. Think she'll want to go again? :-)

Date: 11/10/02 21:41
Author: eashock

Glad to hear that everyone (so far) is alive and well. Im praying that the word I heard about the theater in VanWert isn't nearly as bad as I first heard, and that the casualty list does not grow.

Excitement like this makes me glad I moved down to NC!

-Eric

Date: 11/10/02 22:24
13 dead-AL, OH, TN
Author: diddle_e._squat

Nasty storm, still dangerous and heading into GA, Carolinas, WV, and VA right now.

Date: 11/11/02 01:53
4:45 AM
Author: jukeman

Loosing it's punch but still nasty.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0392 seconds