Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Sun, Snow and Rails

Date: 03/03/15 05:29
Sun, Snow and Rails
Author: SDP40F600

I like to look to make railroad photographs that do not feature trains, particularly when I am out during the winter months and there is snow on the ground. The linear nature of tracks lends itself to making images with lines.

The view is looking westward on the former Erie Lackawanna (nee Erie Railroad) near Kent, Ohio. I'm standing at the grade crossing of Lake Rockwell Road. It is late Saturday afternoon and the sun is nearly over the tracks.

These rails are now owned by Portage County and used by the Akron Barberton Cluster Railway. But the ABC doesn't operate this way on weekends so the rails were silent. It is peaceful on this day but tomorrow will bring another winter storm and more snow.

Date: 03/03/15 05:41
Re: Sun, Snow and Rails
Author: ubee1964

At one time that was double track and a very active crossing.

Date: 03/03/15 06:06
Author: ut-1

Nice picture!

Date: 03/03/15 07:50
Author: stevelv

Nice shot. If I close my eyes I can picture 3 EL SD45's barreling towards me with a line of pigs on train NY-100.

Date: 03/03/15 08:14
Author: refarkas

Beautiful image. The linearity of the tracks suggests the passage of a great deal of time with the sun representing a possible bright future and the unseen track behind you representing the EL's past history. The shadows represent now while the sun's glimmer on the snow represents my past EL memories.
Perhaps you didn't realize this, but this originally had a bridge across the double-track mainline. Ron's first Revelation video on Akron rails (Rubber City Rails Part I) has my favorite EL movie clip. From this bridge I was blessed to get a movie of eastbound EL F's and EL's last Alco FA approaching and leaving me. What a sight that was!
Bob

Date: 03/03/15 09:32
Author: Benched_it

I also enjoy railroad related pics without trains. This is a fine
shot, very nice!

Jay

Date: 03/03/15 11:54
Author: ns1000

Nice pic!!

Date: 03/05/15 12:19
Author: moltensulphur

Very nicely done....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0531 seconds