Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Former CNJ Trackage / Locomotive Questions

Date: 03/03/15 15:07
Former CNJ Trackage / Locomotive Questions
Author: CSXT_8437

Good Evrning:

How much former CNJ trackage is still used for freight service? Also, are there any former CNJ locomotives still in use on NS or CSXT?

Also, back in passenger days, did the CNJ run through trains to Harrisburg, PA via the Reading? I saw a picture of a CNJ timetable that listed Harrisburg as a city served by them. However, I wasn't sure is a change of trains between the Reading and CNJ had to be made.

Thank you in advance.

Date: 03/03/15 15:19
Re: Former CNJ Trackage / Locomotive Questions
Author: CPR_4000

Not a lot . . . the CR Chemical Coast line, a short bit of CNJ main track and the Delaware River bridge in Phillipsburg, NJ, Allentown Yard, and the line from Allentown to Lehighton. There might be a little bit of local freight service on the NJT Raritan Valley Line between Cranford and High Bridge, but I don't think there is.

Yes, back in the day CNJ and RDG ran joint passenger service from Jersey City to Harrisburg (and Philly).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/15 15:20 by CPR_4000.

Date: 03/03/15 15:27
Author: pal77

The CNJ GP-40p's still soldier on all 13 still on NJT roster but some are stored and a few are being rebuilt for non passenger use. All the sd35's are long gone some sd40's survived CR but I don't know if any are still running.

Date: 03/03/15 15:57
Author: lvrrpassenger

They are still using the former CNJ main from the outskirts of White Haven, pa to laurel Run, Pa.

Date: 03/03/15 16:01
Author: tp117

Not much ex-CNJ railroad still exists, but certainly one of the most important lines of Conrail Shared Assest is ex-CNJ. That is the Chemical Coast line that reaches the Port Newark/Elizabeth Marine terminals and most of the critical chemical/ethanol/crude oil terminals between from Oak Island yard to Perth Amboy. Other peices of CNJ exist operated by shortlines and the Reading & Northern. Trains magazines often has maps comparing former and after looks at railroads.

I'm not loco expert, but when you consider CNJ was absorbed into Conrail almost 39 years ago, and most of its modern locos were already several years old, I doubt if any former CNJ diesel are in service on CSX or NS. But there may be a few ex-CNJ units on Reigionals and shortlines and I know some outfit runs at least one CNJ painted loco in Eastern PA but if it is actually ex-CNJ I do not know.

CNJ and RDG did operate joint Jersey City to Harrisburg passenger trains via Allentown, but even by my Sep 1957 Guide is was down to one train in each direction, an evening run in both directions. This was primarily a mail train with only one or more heavyweight coaches, but it did last in the 1960s. For power it could have any steam generator euipped CNJ or RDG loco including the Trainmasters.

CNJ freight units did wander a bit. In mid 60s -70s I saw 3 CNJ TM's on a SB B&O Advanced Hudson in Baltimore. Later a four unit set of F3s coming out of Harpers Ferry tunnel, shot a movie of that but have no way to see if it is any good now. Much later an EB freight with a single CNJ SD40 west of Harpers ferry. But I never saw or heard of a CNJ unit mixed with Reading units into WM's Hagerstown yard but it probably happened. After Conrail was formed some of CNJ's more modern SD units were mixed in with others and went way west.

Date: 03/03/15 16:14
Author: toledopatch

CNJ's SD40s may have ended up as rebuild fodder, but whether any of those ended up on NS or CSX rosters, I don't know.

The Lehigh Line west of Allentown is a hybrid of CNJ and LV. As implied in several posts above, but not summarized, I believe it's ex-CNJ from Allentown to Lehighton, LV from Lehighton to White Haven, CNJ from White Haven to Laurel Run, and LV from Laurel Run to Pittston (Coxton Yard).

Date: 03/03/15 16:37
Author: zephyrus

Looks like 3 of the former B&O / CNJ SD40s are / were still running on CSX or NS in the last two years.

CSX 8885 was built as B&O 7487. Went to CNJ 3066. Was rebuilt by Conrail as their 6999.
CSX 8878 was built as B&O 7485. Went to CNJ 3064. Was rebuilt by Conrail as their 6981.
NS 3445 was built as B&O 7484. Went to CNJ 3063. Was rebuilt by Conrail as their 6996.

Z

Date: 03/03/15 17:40
Author: Out_Of_Service

CNJ Southern Division ... from Red Bank,NJ to Lakewood,NJ <operated by Conrail CSAO> ... a short portion in Winslow,NJ then From Vineland to Bridgeton and the C&M branch from Bridgeton to Dividing Creek,NJ way down in southern new jersey near the Delaware Bay to access a few sand pits for loading <this trackage is operated by the Winchester & Western RR> ...

between Lakewood and Winslow also between Winslow and Vineland is embargoed with rail in place and/or out of service ...

Posted from Android

Date: 03/03/15 18:41
Author: CSXT_8437

I guess there is no hope or need for the old Southern Division to be restored between Lakewood and Winslow Jct.

Thank you for all of the responses.

Date: 03/03/15 19:28
Author: icancmp193

A couple pieces of the High Bridge Branch and the Dover and Rockaway, eh?

Tom Y

Date: 03/03/15 19:39
Author: simonbr

Part of the CNJ High Bridge Branch between Hopatcong Jct. and Flanders still exists and is served by the M&E.

There is some freight service on the Raritan Valley Line - there's a Conrail job, I think MA-20, that comes out of Manville at least a couple nights a week and gets on the RVL at Bound Brook.

As a bonus, here's a link to an excellent map of the CNJ system from 1941: http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HISTORICALMAPS/RAILROADS/Central_RR_1941.jpg

Date: 03/03/15 20:14
Author: njmidland

The CNJ's Dover & Rockaway and the northern part of the High Bridge Branch are owned by Morris County and operated by the Morristown & Erie.

The southern portion of the Wharton & Northern is still in place but unused since the Conrail.

Tim

Date: 03/04/15 04:52
Author: CNJ1524

zephyrus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like 3 of the former B&O / CNJ SD40s are /
> were still running on CSX or NS in the last two
> years.
>
> CSX 8885 was built as B&O 7487. Went to CNJ 3066.
> Was rebuilt by Conrail as their 6999.
> CSX 8878 was built as B&O 7485. Went to CNJ 3064.
> Was rebuilt by Conrail as their 6981.
> NS 3445 was built as B&O 7484. Went to CNJ 3063.
> Was rebuilt by Conrail as their 6996.
>
>
> Z
FURX, HLCX, EMDX, had a few of the the SD40s as well, there are a couple RS-3 running around and a couple GP-7s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/15 04:55 by CNJ1524.

Date: 03/04/15 17:54
Author: Dewman45

Here is CSX 8885 (EX: CR 6999 EXX: CNJ 3066 EXXX: B&O 7487 in Waycross, GA on 9/5/14

Date: 03/05/15 14:25
Author: knotch8

Thanks, simonbr. That is an excellent map.

Date: 03/05/15 16:36
Author: OCtrainguy

Two CNJ G7s are owned by the URHS in New Jersey.

1. CNJ 1524 at URHS in Boonton
2. CNJ 1523 on the Cape May Seashore Lines in Tuckahoe

Also, there is a weekly (at this time) freight out of Browns Yard onto the NJT North Jersey Coast Line (former NY&LB) and onto the Shared Assets Southern Secondary (ex-CNJ Southern Division).

3. Browns Yard local SA31 in Farmingdale, just north of the PRR/CNJ diamond.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0792 seconds