Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > 3 Days of bad weather on the CNO&TP in KY

Date: 03/03/15 18:09
3 Days of bad weather on the CNO&TP in KY
Author: EMBell

To Continue the winter railroading on the NS in Kentucky, here are 3 days of bad weather (Sleet, Snow, and then Arctic COLD!) on the CNO&TP here in Kentucky

February 14th and 15, I spent the weekend showing some friends of ours around. Its always great to show off your favorite piece of RR, and the NS did not disappoint. Besides a healthy of amount of trains, we also has some interesting weather to contend with...heavy sleet, freezing rain and then a little snow coupled with wind and temps in the single digits. This is the kind of weather that would keep most folks indoors, but I love it!

February 28th I was back out there again, taking advantage of some sun and the remains of a 16 inch snowfall from the day before. A busy day got even better with a solid set of EMD's on 167 plus a lot of other goodies.

You can check out all the new stuff (over 40 new images in all) at this link >>>>> http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/cnotp2nd2015

Saturday 02/14/15

#1 a 12 hour late 251 (Southbound TripleCrown) passes a crewless grain train at "Southern States" on the North side of Somerset, KY

#2 The sleet was trying hard to turn to snow as M16 came under the signal bridge at Geneva, KY

#3 229 crosses over 2 to 1 track at Gradison, KY

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/15 18:16 by EMBell.

Date: 03/03/15 18:12
Re: 3 Days of bad weather on the CNO&TP in KY

Sunday Feb 15th

#4 Train 167 works through the big cut at Wiborg, KY

#5 Southbound 197 climbs out of the Cumberland River valley at Tateville, KY. The temp was around 5 degrees this morning, but the sun was out!

#6 22A starts down the hill at Kings Mountain, KY

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Date: 03/03/15 18:14

Saturday Feb 28th

#7 Snow still clings to the knobs as train 275 heads out onto Single track at Southfork, KY

#8 167 tops over at Kings Mountain, KY behind a Groovy EMD Trio.....SD70Ace - SD90Mac - SD60M

#9 Clean Rock is Happy Rock....One of the home-built Ballast cleaners spends the weekend tied down at Burnside, KY

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Date: 03/03/15 18:23
Author: Walla183

That vantage point in shot 5 is awesome. Your efforts in 5 degree weather is appreciated

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/03/15 18:28
Author: djy23

Picture 5 is killer! Great composition!

Date: 03/03/15 18:36
Author: CSXT_8437

Great pictures! Thank you for sharing. Just curious, does this route have switch heaters at the interlockings? I didn't notice any in a couple of the pictures.

Thank you again.

Date: 03/03/15 18:39
Author: PennRailVideos

Great pictures! I really enjoy the art work on NS 1000.

Date: 03/03/15 18:44

Thanks for the comments guys!

Yes, all of the mainline switches (crossovers) have switch heaters, but I dont recall seeing any in operation these 3 days. All of the CP's have LPG tanks (that I usually try to keep out of frame)

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Date: 03/03/15 19:12
Author: wa4umr

Well, Emmett, get ready for a repeat of the weather. We're suppose to get 3 to 12 inches, depending on who you listen to, most likely 4 to 8 inches. You might expect 3 to 6 at your QTH. Nice bunch of pictures as usual. Just be careful out there because I know you'll be out there doing it again.

73 John

Date: 03/03/15 19:50
Author: ATSF5669

Absolutely stunning pics Mr Bell! You are right about the weather being a motivator to get out of the house!

Date: 03/04/15 04:29
Author: jmbreitigan

Very interesting series and your usual good composition.
John

Date: 03/04/15 04:40
Author: oklachaser

Really great photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 03/04/15 04:55
Author: billio

Hi, E.M. Great pics of territory that received less coverage than it deserves. Thanks!

Date: 03/04/15 12:14
Author: ns1000

GREAT stuff...!!! Thanks for posting. Nice catch of NS 1000.....:<)

Date: 03/04/15 20:30
Author: Baxtersta

Wow! that view at Tatesville is great Emmett.
But get ready for more Bad Weather -- it's probably snowing on you now.

Date: 03/05/15 01:28
Author: bobwilcox

Nice shots.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 03/05/15 12:20
Author: CPR_4000

That track looks smooth as glass, even through a long telephoto lens. Great shot with the road in the foreground dropping off the hill.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0734 seconds